Can you feed guinea pigs to snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, probably exactly what the OP wanted to see :p

There are no hamsters in Australia.

I actually didn't realise this site was now being run by foreigners.
Even though the site is named "Aussie pythons and snakes" haha. Just like lot's of FB groups invaded by people overseas who think they know more about our critters than we do. Just like the request for emergency funds is actually in US $

Even though the site is named "Aussie pythons and snakes" haha. Just like lot's of FB groups invaded by people overseas who think they know more about our critters than we do. Just like the request for emergency funds is actually in US $
And almost double the price of any reasonable hosting site… even xenforo (where the site is hosted) is 200$/mth MAX for for great specs (unless you want to go larger for whatever reason)

When I joined this site 20 years ago it was owned and sort of run by a foreigner, Jan, who was living in Australia. Not sure what happened to him. It went offline for a while and I'm not sure who recently resurrected it, but it seems they're not even familiar with the Australian animal scene, which is interesting.

When I joined this site 20 years ago it was owned and sort of run by a foreigner, Jan, who was living in Australia. Not sure what happened to him. It went offline for a while and I'm not sure who recently resurrected it, but it seems they're not even familiar with the Australian animal scene, which is interesting.
As you can see I joined this forum in 09, it was the first internet reptile group I found. Even though I was in love with dragons and no interest in keeping snakes back then I stuck around. There was a brief period where the site crashed and then restarted with some loss of data . I was told it was due to some mysterious crash ? It kept my start date with a loss of some data including photo's but Okay. Now who knows ?

There was a brief period where the site crashed and then restarted with some loss of data.

July 2015. The site "crashed" 2 or 3 times within a week. The database was corrupted, many user accounts were lost, others lost their post/like counts in some cases - Apparently caused by issues with the hosting provider (Azure). Soon after this Adam, son of Slateman (Jan) handed the site over to Stu. The site never went offline, but there were a few stints of downtime for a day or two (the landing page remained with a "down for maintenance" message). Somewhere along the way the forum software was changed from vBulletin to XenForo. Stu managed to recover 98% of site content from the backups he had access to. He has since moved on himself, but this wasn't a recent event - His last visit was nearly 2 years ago.

Last edited:
July 2015. The site "crashed" 2 or 3 times within a week. The database was corrupted, many user accounts were lost, others lost their post/like counts in some cases - Apparently caused by issues with the hosting provider (Azure). Soon after this Adam, son of Slateman (Jan) handed the site over to Stu. The site never went offline, but there were a few stints of downtime for a day or two (the landing page remained with a "down for maintenance" message). Somewhere along the way the forum software was changed from vBulletin to XenForo. Stu managed to recover 98% of site content with the aid of backups. He has since moved on himself, but this wasn't a recent event - His last visit was nearly 2 years ago.

I've been around since 2004 and I can tell you a lot more than 2% of the material on the site was lost! I was a bit disappointed after the years I'd spent supporting the site with some decent (even if I say so myself) content, and plenty of stuff many other active members had put up. Hey, **** happens, I'm not blaming anyone for the data loss, but a lot less than 98% of the content was recovered.

I've been around since 2004 and I can tell you a lot more than 2% of the material on the site was lost! I was a bit disappointed after the years I'd spent supporting the site with some decent (even if I say so myself) content, and plenty of stuff many other active members had put up. Hey, **** happens, I'm not blaming anyone for the data loss, but a lot less than 98% of the content was recovered.

Yes, I have since edited my post to clarify - 98% of the content from the backups he had access to.

Another thing to consider is the fact that people, especially in the early days, were using external picture hosting sites. Some of these still exist, some don't, or perhaps the uploader has since deleted their account/content. The result is that in many older threads you will see an X instead of the pic. I checked 3 historical threads and they are littered with missing pics. This isn't something APS has any control over.

APS.png

Yes, I have since edited my post to clarify - 98% of the content from the backups he had access to.

Another thing to consider is the fact that people, especially in the early days, were using external picture hosting sites. Some of these still exist, some don't, or perhaps the uploader has since deleted their account/content. The result is that in many older threads you will see an X instead of the pic. I checked 3 historical threads and they are littered with missing pics. This isn't something APS has any control over.

View attachment 336105

Ahh '98% of what he had access to' is a lot different from '98% of everything which had been on the site'.

Yes, definitely, I used to use external image hosting (mostly Photobucket which later decided to make themselves completely useless, which was a great shame since it was where I'd parked most of my images for quite some years!), and many of the posts I made here which were lost would now have non viewable images because of the Photobucket image, even if the posts hadn't been lost.

Anyway, with decades of time, the site changing hands, technology being as fragile as it is, etc etc, losses are likely to occur, it is what it is.

What country are the people currently running this site based in?

I may not know your animals, but I ask questions as I'm interested in learning. Thanks for telling me about not having hamsters there.
I’m a fairly new member and it absolutely never occurred to me (until the hamster comment) that the site was run by anyone but Australians, in Australia, with expertise in herpetology! Well I’m bloody gobsmacked!! 😆

Last edited:
July 2015. The site "crashed" 2 or 3 times within a week. The database was corrupted, many user accounts were lost, others lost their post/like counts in some cases - Apparently caused by issues with the hosting provider (Azure). Soon after this Adam, son of Slateman (Jan) handed the site over to Stu. The site never went offline, but there were a few stints of downtime for a day or two (the landing page remained with a "down for maintenance" message). Somewhere along the way the forum software was changed from vBulletin to XenForo. Stu managed to recover 98% of site content from the backups he had access to. He has since moved on himself, but this wasn't a recent event - His last visit was nearly 2 years ago.
2015? Was it seriously that long ago?🤯

in saying that, going back and looking at older threads, it’s kinda sad how many people never really came back…

I think it’s a very fair question. Where does it stop? Some snakes would eat a cat or a dog and to most, that’s abhorrent. Guinea pigs are a popular and deeply loved member of a lot of families so it’s comparable for many. Rats and mice too, for that matter. I’m not sure what the legalities are. For me, it’s the issue of whether they were raised and euthanised in a humane manner that’s also safe for the snakes.
What gives you the right to poke your nose into their business. They raise the animals for food. Same as a beef farmer. If you don't like it keep your opinions to yourself. I'm sick of bleeding hearts trying to regulate fair practise.
Good on them for seeing their snakes are cared for with live food.

What gives you the right to poke your nose into their business. They raise the animals for food. Same as a beef farmer. If you don't like it keep your opinions to yourself. I'm sick of bleeding hearts trying to regulate fair practise.
Good on them for seeing their snakes are cared for with live food.
Omg, we put this argument to bed weeks ago! Maybe read the whole thread before shooting your mouth off at me!

Well, I'm not going to be supporting an "Australian" site run by Yanks any longer
there aren't many real websites left, I used to run a bearded dragon forum that had thousands of members but FB ruined that now it's all fakebook sh1te with all the 5 minute experts. At least here you talk to real people with real knowledge

there aren't many real websites left, I used to run a bearded dragon forum that had thousands of members but FB ruined that now it's all fakebook sh1te with all the 5 minute experts. At least here you talk to real people with real knowledge
Or they’ve been keeping reptiles for 5 years, start a page, get a few 10 followers and now think they’re the face of the hobby in Australia 😂

Or they’ve been keeping reptiles for 5 years, start a page, get a few 10 followers and now think they’re the face of the hobby in Australia 😂
it would be funny if it wasn't true, there are so many pages out there who knows which 1 to follow and which 1 has facts not fantasy. I see so much rubbish out there it isn't funny. Things like beardies are tropical and need high humidity, beardies are allergic to sand, the best substrate is astro turf etc. It curdles my brain so much I don't bother giving advice if there are already 10 or more replies but I still like to help the newbies

it would be funny if it wasn't true, there are so many pages out there who knows which 1 to follow and which 1 has facts not fantasy. I see so much rubbish out there it isn't funny. Things like beardies are tropical and need high humidity, beardies are allergic to sand, the best substrate is astro turf etc. It curdles my brain so much I don't bother giving advice if there are already 10 or more replies but I still like to help the newbies
in my opinion the more experienced ones are the ones who stay quiet because their advice just gets drowned out by the newbies. I can name atleast 3 large aussie pages that are in serious debt to biker gangs for illegal dealings *cough* illegal importing *cough* hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back