my nephew's new turtles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did he aquire those turtles?

I think you will find red eared sliders do infact have red ears :) Nope not RES
He got them from his local pet store.............

What species are they Snowman? I'm useless when it comes to turtles.

My first thought was also RES.

thats cool, i lived in china for a while and had a couple of RES, that look very similar thats all . my bad! good luck with them

I think someones having a wind up :) Photo's of the turtles on the front page of today's paper would be interesting...

I hope your nephews live overseas as those turtles are illegal to own within Australia.

I'm afraid Stocky is right. The turtles in the photos are red-eared sliders. You can see the red marking on the side of the head.

Quoting from A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia by Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan. "It is of concern that the species appears to have become established in Australia via the pet-shop trade. They have been recorded to seriously deplete native turtles wherever they are introduced, and the vista of a dozen or more sliders stacked along a partly submerged log is not something we wish to see in Australia."

My advice would be to euthanase the sliders and report the pet shop to the Dept of Environment.

Res

Hi Snowman,

Those turtles are 100% RES! If you look at your 1st, 4th and 6th images, you can see the 'red ear' which is not actually on the ear but is a stripe behind the eye.

Kind regards,

Gab

I would bet a wind-up. The smiley face and the wink.
or his nephew lives overseas.

Im sure the nephew lives overseas. these posts always end up with the owner being overseas!

seems some ppl enjoy a big flame up rather than posting all the info??

Okay enough teasing :p

They are infact yellow belly sliders.... sorry to disapoint all the red eared slider identifications.. Hope you're better with your vens ID's ;) Both are related however and native to the USA....
My nephew lives in Vienna, as his father works at the Aussie embassy there as a diplomat, so rest assured they are perfectly legal.

I did post in the exotic section :rolleyes:

Hi Snowman,

Those turtles are 100% RES! If you look at your 1st, 4th and 6th images, you can see the 'red ear' which is not actually on the ear but is a stripe behind the eye.

Kind regards,

Gab

Nah they're yellow belly sliders..

Red-eared_Slider.jpg

if your wondering about the difference between the red eared and yellow belly.. here's a pic of a red eared (from google).... Quite obvious why they are called red eared.. Red eareds seem to be the ones we have the most problems with in Australia.. There has been one found in a Perth park a few years back...

Okay enough teasing :p

They are infact yellow belly sliders.... sorry to disapoint all the red eared slider identifications.. Hope you're better with your vens ID's ;) Both are related however and native to the USA....
My nephew lives in Vienna, as his father works at the Aussie embassy there as a diplomat, so rest assured they are perfectly legal.

I did post in the exotic section :rolleyes:
not teasing , just not all the info;)
you only did it for a stir , im kinda glad you did . as its good to see pepole care about AUS wildlife .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back