my nephew's new turtles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Red-eared_Slider.jpg

if your wondering about the difference between the red eared and yellow belly.. here's a pic of a red eared (from google).... Quite obvious why they are called red eared.. Red eareds seem to be the ones we have the most problems with in Australia.. There has been one found in a Perth park a few years back...
even tho the pics u first posted have the slight red coming through ........

even tho the pics u first posted have the slight red coming through ........

yeah YBS have orange ears... It's a common trait in sliders.. as is the stripes.. the difference is quite striking though.

they're only juvies so they'll change color a bit... though I think they have one that hasn't got any orange on it's ear... they've got 4 of em....

Hi Snowman,

It was a great stir......I still maintain that the variations within YBS versus RES are quite broad and overlapping. You can get hatchie YBS with no trace of red or orange which is what I am familiar with and you can get RES hatchies with pale/pastel red....similar to YBS.

As they are both subspecies of the same species, I wouldn't be surprised if there is not some degree of interbreeding of the two subspecies, particularly in countries that they are not endemic to.

The other thing is that there are very few YBS in Australia....I only know of a few in Zoos....compared to thousands of RES in Australia, including feral populations in the wild. So given that you eluded that they were in Oz, everyone said RES, myself included.

See the thread that was created about this in australianfreshwaterturtles.com.au. I believe it was called 'Turtle I.D' by Zoojas. Personally, I still believe they are RES.

Kind regards,

Gab

Bye the way, Snowman,

YBS don't have the black 'squiggles' (for lack of a better term) on the bridges...they only have them on the underside of the marginals and certainly none on the plastron.

The turtles you posted are either 'Pastel RES' (which is a common colour mutation) or a cross between RES and YBS.

Thanks for the gee up!

Kind regards,

Gab

correct me if i'm wrong but i think that is a yellow eared slider. i think i remeber hearing it somewhere.

Weird.. the yellow bellied sliders on Google look wwwaaay different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back