Fire Ants?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysnakesau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Are these fire ants? Discovered them whilst digging a hole for a sheena's gold. How can I get rid of them without harming other ant colonies?

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 115
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 111
Hey. It is a requirement by law to report all suspected fireants to your Department of Agriculture or NPWS (up here in Qld we report them to Qld Primary Industries and Fisheries or directly to the Fire Ant Control Centre, which I work next door to). Not something to second guess or we could all end up losing our freedom to enjoy the outdoors. Fingers crossed there not fireants. Keep us updated please.

I intended to visit Rural Lands Protection Board on Monday. We have an office here in Kempsey. Is that as good as National Parks? I think I'll send an email to NPWS as well. Wow, I knew reporting it was wanted but didn't know it was law.

Kupper, nice thought, but petrol, fire and me don't mix. Nearly set myself and the house on fire last time I tried killing pesty bugs with that stuff.

Looking at the nest on the DECC site, I am thinking they may not be. These ones are under the ground. But will still suss it out anyway.

Thanks guys :D

Whats wrong gecko-mad. I simply posted pictures for an ID on some ants. What is it do you think you're missing?

I have sent those pictures to DECC and will catch some critters to take in to Rural Lands Protection on Monday.

i am missing something arent i

Why are fire ants a problem?

In the USA, fire ants are estimated to cause economic losses in excess of $1 billion annually. Similar impacts are expected to occur in Australia if fire ants are not eradicated. The insects:

* inflict a painful, burning sting
* invade our backyards, parks and recreational areas
* threaten native flora and fauna
* injure domestic animals
* damage crops and equipment.

taken from:
DECC | How far have fire ants spread? Why are they a problem?

ohhhhhhhhhhh Gosh Kath ,let us know how you got on ..dont want them buggers at your place ..they are a nightmare in Brissy ..thank goodness we dont have them up here ...apparently a very nasty ant ..

am i missing something?
Fire ant are a noxious invasive species that have recently been discovered in Australia.The have a very bad sting and can make yards un-usable for people and pests. There are control measures in place that (surprisingly) seem to be working. The petrol and boiling water suggestions are useless, only baits can reach the entire colony
Fire ant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fire ant identification (Queensland Primary Industries and Fisheries)

Fire ant are a noxious invasive species that have recently been discovered in Australia.The have a very bad sting and can make yards un-usable for people and pests. There are control measures in place that (surprisingly) seem to be working. The petrol and boiling water suggestions are useless, only baits can reach the entire colony
Fire ant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fire ant identification (Queensland Primary Industries and Fisheries)
just helping you out FUSCUS ...on the people and PETS (not pests;))..typo error I do it all the time ...:lol:

False alarm here. Pest Control mob (use to be Rural Lands Protection) ruled out fire ants. He didn't offer an idea of the species but was confident that they were not fire ants. They were sent for 2nd opinion to another office in Kempsey and both parties ruled them out. Good news, I can keep digging :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back