Advice re. laptop

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, a while ago I was asking for recommendations on laptop brands/experiences with each (whether good or bad) etc. With my requirements and my budget Dell ended up being the best option, as it was virtually the only company that had decent screen resolutions and a lot of other features I was after (I do a lot of stuff in adobe CS4, and I do everything at a rapid pace; most computers can't keep up/cope)

My laptop before this one was also a Dell, a XPS 1530, cost about $1700ish when I bought it, and within the first week of using it I had to give it to some technicians which then had it for 2wks, and then I still had to keep getting them back. Throughout the first year that I had it, I had the motherboard replaced at least 7 times (lost count), keyboard replaced, RAM replaced, adapter etc. all replaced. basically, I nearly got a new computer. It would have been cheaper for dell to replace my (obiously) faulty computer. After the warranty expired and the battery life was reduced to 20mins on power saver mode, I decided to get another computer.

This time, I purchased a Dell Studio XPS 16, 2.53ghz centrino 2 processor, 4gb ram, 500gb 7200rpm hard drive etc etc... cost me $1908, ordered in late August this year (so would be nearly 3mnths old). Since I've had it, the touchpad has been faulty, and has gotten worse (This is the problem I had within the first week with my old Dell, and throughout the entire time I had it) since. It often doesn't work, and it CONSTANTLY re-selects, so say for example I want to click and drag to select a part of an image or text etc, it will keep clicking (even though I'm still holding the button down) continuously, so obviously its virtually impossible to select anything. Another problem that started occasionally when I'd had it for about a month was a problem with the adapter; the computer pops up with a message saying the adapter cannot be recognised- performance will be reduced and the battery will not charge. NOW it is doing it virtually every single time I plug the computer in, and it won't charge. Some keys on the keyboard seem to be faulty and don't always work (I study on my computer and type hundreds of pages of notes, so this really ****** me off)

Sorry for the long post, but should I just ring Dell and ask for an entire new computer? Prior to purchasing the computer, I rang Dell and mentioned my previous laptop was a piece of **** and the guy assured me the new models have had those problems fixed (didn't believe him, but still). this computer seems to be having virtually IDENTICAL problems to my first. I specifically said I need a RELIABLE computer as I use it for all of my university work (in lectures, for assignments, studying) as well as graphic editing/designing type work. I have not yet contacted them because I've been so bogged down by uni work and cannot afford to have a tech come out, replace the damn motherboard (this seems to be Dells solution to everything) and the computer to completely die (this happened with my first computer, hence why I lost it for two weeks, they couldn't get it to boot up/turn on again) If this computer dies, I'm literally stuffed, hence why I haven't contacted them yet.

So if this happened to you, what would you do? demand a refund, demand a new computer, or just get them to send a technician out to 'fix' the computer again? Just before the warranty expired on my last computer and I had a tech come out to -guess what- replace my motherboard and RAM, he said I should have just demanded a new computer from word go....

Last edited:
Quick addition;
When the thing pops up about the battery, the performance is REALLY reduced- to the extent that it runs slower than a $400 celeron laptop, literally. For example, when I type a paragraph, the computer adds letters one by one extremely slowly, to the extent that it lags behind by a couple of hundred words... As soon as I unplug the bloody adapter it runs normally again. plug it in = pops up and slow again. Before it had this problem intermittently, but its occuring nearly every time I plug the adapter in to charge now. see the piccy below...

Incase you can't read it, it says "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 90W AC adapter or higher for best system operation". In the bottom right it says "68% available, plugged in, not charging"
Bloodycomputer.jpg

Last edited:
I know a few peeps with dell laptops that have no probs
But in general laptops are crap compared to pcs
What have is a relatively cheap dell to use when im at tafe
And when im at home i use my pc for work that requires max speed
Also do live in a hot area?
If so laptops throttle when overheating which will really slow down everything
but at the end of the day id be demanding a new laptop of Dell
Have tried replacing ur charger?

No, I haven't replaced the charger; I don't know what the problem is, but this exact same problem occured with my last Dell laptop (multiple times) and is happening with this one... I don't see why I should have to purchase a new adapter/charger if the computer is <3months old... Based on my previous experiences with dell, I haven't yet been game to contact them regarding this crappy machine.

It gets warm up here, but by not nearly as hot as it will get. I make sure the computer stays relatively cool, if it overheats too much I just turn it off and leave it for a while. This laptop is faster than many other computers, its not the speed that is my concern, its the numerous problems that are turning up at a rapid pace (within the first few weeks/month of me getting it). It'd actually be more like 9 weeks since I got it (deliered on the 14th Sept, but ordered late Aug)

The only reason I got this Dell (after my nightmare in the form of my first Dell laptop) was because I know many people who have dell laptops who have never had a problem. I know the models, specifications and usage differs, but still.

I know the generalisation is that laptops are crap in comparison to desktops, but a laptop is the best for my circumstances, and its still pretty darned fast (Faster than the typical household desktop computer).

Any tips on what to say when demanding a replacement laptop? I'm normally really shy so this is going to be interesting... But I want what I paid for, a reliable, decent computer worth the $1908 I paid for it.

Take it to a computer shop (not a chain store) that also repairs computers
They will be able to tell straight away if ur causing the problem
If they say its dells fault get them to explain in detail so u can write in down and have some ammo against DELL

Not a bad idea that, might try it, thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back