How long do rodents stay frozen?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Specks

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just a question on how long they will stay frozen and still be viable to eat for the snakes obviously

never kept any longer than 6 months. not saying they wouldnt be any good after 6 months, just never done it

ok thanks wranga. im just deciding to buy big bulk as i have live foods unlimited like 10 mins from me and was decideing to buy big bulk or just small amounts.

i think im going to go big:D

btw any1 on the gold coast contact livefoods unlimited. really good prices and awesome quality

their number (07) 5533 8375. if you ring on weekends they will get back to you on moday.thought i would give the local company a good heads up aye

I think a good rule of thumb is about 3 months. But I wouldn't keep anything longer than 6 months. They start to loose too much nutritional value.

Freezerlife will depend upon- bacterial load at freezing; packing method; speed of freezing; storage temperature. Ayear or two is not hard to achieve with average domestic conditions..

oh ok thanks wokka good information . appreciate it mate

if you vaccum pack and put in a deep freezer (chest) anything can keep for over 12 months.

I never keep mine anymore than two months. Thats just me though, because I've found that if I keep it too long, white bacteria spots start growing.

I'm just very paranoid I guess :]

My rodents never last more then a month usually just buy 10 at a time 3 weeks worth of feeding

A frost free freezer will dry them out much quicker than say a chest freezer. Airtight bags with additional ice cubes as sacraficial water will help the shelf life.

Firstly its a fallacy that meat only keeps frozen for 3-6months tops (old wives tale). Talk to any butcher

You can keep them frozen for an extended period - the only thing long-term freezing does is reduce flavour - which im guessing your herp wont be too phased about as they arent tasting the meat anyway - just the scented fur...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back