how do you get a snake OFF your finger???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monte

Reaction score
I handled my new yearling stimmie for the first time tonight (except to get her in her enclosure), at first she was a bit nervous but no striking or hiding. When I tried to put her back into her home she bit my finger and curled around it like she was trying to eat me, I assumed she’d let go once she realised I was too big for her to eat but she stayed on me for a few minutes.

I tried to gently unwind her but that didn’t work. After a bit, I put my hand into the enclosure to see if she would detach and she did, and went straight back to her hide. I’m worried I’ve traumatised her??

How can I avoid this in the future? And if she does it again, how can I get her off without hurting her??

A little bit of cheap vodka in the mouth seems effective at making them let go then rinse out the mouth with a little water

And I doubt you have traumatized her

well besides the fact she wasn't allowed to eat you

A little bit of cheap vodka in the mouth seems effective at making them let go then rinse out the mouth with a little water

And I doubt you have traumatized her

well besides the fact she wasn't allowed to eat you

Top shelf vodka doesn't work because they like it and it encourages them to bite again to receive their reward.

I handled my new yearling stimmie for the first time tonight (except to get her in her enclosure), at first she was a bit nervous but no striking or hiding. When I tried to put her back into her home she bit my finger and curled around it like she was trying to eat me, I assumed she’d let go once she realised I was too big for her to eat but she stayed on me for a few minutes.

I tried to gently unwind her but that didn’t work. After a bit, I put my hand into the enclosure to see if she would detach and she did, and went straight back to her hide. I’m worried I’ve traumatised her??

How can I avoid this in the future? And if she does it again, how can I get her off without hurting her??
If she bites and wraps but wont let go, the best thing is to hold her under running water making sure her head is facing down so you don't get water in her lungs. She will let go in a minute or so

If she bites and wraps but wont let go, the best thing is to hold her under running water making sure her head is facing down so you don't get water in her lungs. She will let go in a minute or so
Thank you!! I fed her today so hopefully she’ll be full enough to not have another crack at my hand

If they bite a little too enthusiastically, and decide that you're worth consuming, then the best way is to use two plastic spoons to insert between your finger and the upper and lower jaws, and then slide it out.
I might have to give that a go. Not often I learn new tricks like that these days. Thanks!

Personally, I would also recommend the use of a good quality vodka, applying a liberal amount to the inside of the mouth. If used in sufficient quantity this will have a relaxing and sedating effect. The only difference being, do it to your own mouth, NOT the snake’s. It won’t make the snake let go, however it will make you feel a lot better… eventually to the point where you won’t give a toss about whether the snake is biting you or not.

Ps. A cotton bud soaked in mouthwash, wafted around the snake’s nostrils, is a simple and effective method. The alcohol fumes and smell will cause the snake to recoil, letting go in the process. Methylated spirits can be similarly used. It causes only temporary discomfort, as it would for us.

Vodka makes sense, though never tried it on a herp. Tequila has long been a go-to for this here in the states, and works well. Even Tokays seem to let go pretty quick. Buy a small bottle of the cheap ****e, quarvo gold crap, eyc. According to accounts, they all seem to release rapidly with just a small amount.

Wow. That is one giant Bronzeback!
Thought you might be interested in the comparison to a (still quite large) Golden CTS.
DNA analysis aside - which probably hasn't been done - what attributes are required to segregate into ...?
a) different species
b) different subspecies
... or perhaps that's a question for a different thread.

Thought you might be interested in the comparison to a (still quite large) Golden CTS.
DNA analysis aside - which probably hasn't been done - what attributes are required to segregate into ...?
a) different species
b) different subspecies
... or perhaps that's a question for a different thread.

Definitely for another thread. I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. It sure is a massive Dendrelaphis.

Definitely for another thread. I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. It sure is a massive Dendrelaphis.
My contention is that Golden CTS and Eastern CTS should be different subspecies ... possibly even different species.
I'll start another thread shortly ...

My contention is that Golden CTS and Eastern CTS should be different subspecies ... possibly even different species.
I'll start another thread shortly ...

I'm not at all fond of that debate, regardless of the area of taxonomy. Many years ago I just accepted that the majority of people are completely stupid when it comes to taxonomy, I could dedicate my entire life to passionately attempting to talk sense into people, and I would get nowhere, so I stopped trying or caring much. Even if people weren't completely ridiculous, taxonomy would be a very different area of science, but they are, it is what it is, and for the most part our labels don't much matter anyway. Call them whatever you like, the Australian Bronzebacks will still be whatever they are, and Australians won't call them Bronzebacks or usually even know what I'm talking about unless they're familiar with Asian Dendrelaphis in which case they'll assume I've been hanging out in Asia.

If you want to get into a taxon which blatantly obviously needs splitting, the best example is extremely close to home, but we dare not discuss that one.

Back