jungle made a mess of dinner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leave the rats out overnight (in the fridge) and warm them in hot water to body temp.
If you defrost in hot water you are cooking the outside while thawing the centre.
If you want to defrost quicker, leave under running cold water. (I am a chef and this is the safe way to do it for humans. Do not thaw in hot water) If this is the safe method for humans, then its the only method I would use for my animals eswell.

Yessss....i too know the experience of over heating food....

exhibit A: ...This 1.2kg of exploded rabbit to clean up...I have never experienced such mess & stench!

Poor BHP was covered in it and was very glad of a warm bath after eating it. As much as I didnt want to disturb her she was very happy to be washed off! Enclosure too a good hour to wash out and clean.

Lucy & I 028.jpg

oh they are beautiful jungles.

when feeding my jungle i take the food out of the freezer and put it in the fridge the day b4 then take it out and let it get to room temp before i give it to him.

Yes that happened to me before, I got a nice gut sandwich, very fun to clean up...

Stunning pair of snakes you have there :D

That Jungle is insane!!!! Stunning snake!

As the others have said....... Hot water? I don't know why but It weakens the skin on the stomach and it ruptures? I now just leave the rats out and let them defrost naturally, have never had it happen since! Alternately, if u want to defrost quicker, put the rat in a sandwich or freezer bag and immerse this in water. No more exploding rats lol!

Freezer bag is the way to go,none of mine have exploded. oh yuk!! Would hate to clean up after that one. Now she is on the XL sixe too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back