Wild caught

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aspidito

Reaction score
Help needed from the Elapid experts, can you ID this snake caught in the far north of SA.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Plant 21-03-10.JPG
    Plant 21-03-10.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 432
Hi mate,

Im going to go out on a limb and say Pseudonaja nuchalis ssp. I'm not sure of which of the newly named sub species it would be but I've seen a similar animal in the Sturt n.p.

Beautiful animal...

Hi mate,

Im going to go out on a limb and say Pseudonaja nuchalis ssp. I'm not sure of which of the newly named sub species it would be but I've seen a similar animal in the Sturt n.p.

Beautiful animal...

As far as i have read up the there are no ssp of Nuchalis and the species was redescribed into 4 full species.

If i'm going to follow my own advice i'd have to say that i couldn't pin it as anything more than a brown with total certainty. However going off the location it could be Pseudonaja aspidoryncha. Very very nice looking animal either way, do you have more pictures?

G'day Paul,

It's Pseudonaja aspidorhyncha - it has recently been split from Western Browns Pseudonaja nuchalis.

Cheers

Thanks guys, how can you tell the difference between P aspidorhyncha or P mengdeni or for that matter P nuchalis.
Here is a picture of another one similar but no banding.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Longy's catch.jpg
    Longy's catch.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 163
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back