Beginner looking at where to start

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Whipps

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im 43 and I am looking at beginning to own a snake. Wanted one many years ago but ex wife always said no. Current girl friend used to say no but now shes saying that I can get one.

I want one that will be good to handle and what not. I have read you want to get them young and start handling them young to get them used to being handled.

I was wondering what everyone recommends to start with I dont have a lot of funds to Invest.

I am also getting conflicted stories on what they need as far as enclosure and heat is concerned

small species like Antaresia are a good place to start, usually placid creatures who don't need huge enclosures or eat large rodents so that keep costs down.
When full grown you can keep them in a 90cm enclosure, but juvies should be kept in smaller enclosures like a click clack (plastic tub) with a heat mat under 1 end.
Don't make the mistake of buying enclosure from a pet shop, they only sell glass ones which are useless as they don't hold heat

go on google and try to find books!! there are tones of them that have good data based info. that will help with general care.
from my experience. first think of the adult size and consider if you can provide the right enclosure, the basic rule is the snake must be able to fully stretch out. almost any snake can be good to handle big or small. it really depends on your husbandry and how you handle them. if your set up is not right for the snake you get then it can be stressed out and not eat or may be aggressive. if you handle it wrong it wont want to be held. honestly do as much research as you can before you get one and study the specific species you plan on getting especially. if you want something small and easy just get anything from the Antaresia family. or even morelia, they are bigger but some subspecies are on the smaller side

Back