Kitty crumble and live plants???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TA1PAN

Reaction score
Hey guys can you grow live plants in kitty crumble? If so wat type of plants and where do u buy the plants from ? Thanks Chris

It's not really kitty litter it's coconut husk just called kitty crumble

They are changing the name to critters crumble because it's so popular for snakes And reptiles

Why dont you ask on their facebook site? Would be interested in the reply.

Have a look at the Nov issue of scales and tails, there is an idea of some plants that do ok in reptile enclosures if maintained properly. I find most small species of tropical house plant with the light lighting and water will grow quite well, I don't know exactly what the substrate composition is and its mineral levels but mixing it with washed river sand and orchid bark may help. Just be careful not to put the health of the plants first. If you give me an idea of the enclosure type and reptile species i may be able to help out more.
Mike

Google coco peat as a growing medium for plants and you will find stacks of info.
It is a great growing medium for many species of plants and has take over vermiculite and pearlite has the #1 choice for hydroponic growers.
It is mould resistant which makes is a great choice when trying to avoid things such as root rot which seems to be a very common issue in terrarium plants.
Having said that Kitty Crumble is alot coars_er than normal organic coco peat you get in blocks, so I'm not 100% on how that would effect the plants, personally I would use a block form coco peat that is chemical free (all of them say they contain harmfull microorganisms including all the reptile brands I have seen) as it is a finer grade and is also cheaper (just make sure you get the chemical free brands)

Thanks Gex

Last edited:
Hey mike thanks... I got a 3ft all glass dalbarb enclosure with a year and half old blonde spotted.substrate is kitty crumble.and there are a few large pieces of drift wood in there to .

Go to my website (black snake prod...), my contact details are there and if you want i can give you direct advice over the phone. Had a look at the tank on your profile and it should be fairly easy to get the plants you need and the look you want while maintaining a healthy enclosure.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back