Veggies!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristy_07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anyone else out there is vegetarian/vegan/raw food followers? I am looking at transitioning, and just wondering if anyone else is doing the same, and can offer any advice or good info.

Cheers!

Does raw include meat? (sorry, may sound like I'm trying to be funny, but I am not...)

I read in a magazine about a 'caveman' diet - they'll only eat something that could have been eaten back in the day before manufacturing. Apparently that way you don't cut out any essential food (groups), you still eat meat, but you only eat unprocessed meat - ie no salami or anything.

Bread is a no no and all that stuff - basically it's first order foods that don't require conditioning in any way.

I believe milk was fine (but can't recall).

Cooking is fine - apparently they did have fire... And even adding herbs etc is fine too... But no milling, manufacturing or any of the sort.

The diet is meant to keep both weight and health in check - lowers bad cholesterol, increases metabolism etc etc...

To me - (IMPO) this is the only sensible diet I have ever heard of!

Hey, slim6y. No raw meat in the diet I'm talking about. The true fraw diet would be a veggo diet as well, but also believes that foods lose most of their nutrients when cooked, so most things are eaten raw (salads, nuts, fruit, etc.) or dehumidified with some expensive machine I can't afford at the moment :) Heaps of fruit & veg juices with that one as well.

I would struggle to be 100% vegetarian because I naturally have low iron levels to begin with, but I am hoping to stop supporting the commercial meat industry in any way (it's also one of the best things you can do for the environment!). I'm just trialling some ideas at the moment - going off cow's milk has made a MASSIVE improvement to my energy levels, and starting to cut out most processed foods and preservatives has made a big difference to my anxiety/stress levels.

So I was hoping there would be a few others into this health kick stuff - it's supposed to be great for weight management, stress management, and cholesterol levels, too :)

i am a vego as well :)
probably only advice (which you may have already read) but almonds are good as well as lots of green leafy vegetables (spinach, broccoli, etc) :)

i also make my own non-meaty alternatives like sausage rolls and 'meat'balls :)
and i'll occasionally buy the sanitarium products, like vegie snitzels and will steam some vegetables, so i can have a 'snitzel' and my bf will have steak and we'll have a nice meal together :)

All i can advise you is to turn around and take a nice, bite sized chunk out of some sort of bleeding animal. :p

Sweet potato also makes me want to hurl!
vomit-smiley-31.gif

IMO not eating animals is mental disorder, humans are omnivorous, a human that doesnt eat animals is like a snake that eats tofu. Many humans eat too much meat, but eating farmed vegitation causes billions of innocent animal deaths and more environmental destruction, not to mention the importance of animals in plant production, if you are a true vegan you cant eat anything but rocks.

If you want a nice ethically sound source of meat eat roos, they are the most environmentally friendly source of red meat in Australia. IMO we need to make roos a desirable resource rather than being a pest. Fish are also good food and are benificial for human health and are able to be harvested and produced sustainably.

Cris - although I like your idea of sustainable rooing - I however see the need for large reservations for roos too (if this was the case) - to cull or not to cull was one of my first ever major questions on here and it really stirred a few emotions on both sides of the fence.

Yes - roo should be made desirable and therefore roo reservations and 'farms' (not in the cow sense of the word, but areas where roos are attracted to and then shot) need to be implemented.

While I do agree with your meat stand I don't agree with your rock eating vegan stand... But that's a different story.

I don't think cutting anything from your diet is good - in fact it's been shown to be unhealthy.

As I said up there before - the only sensible diet I have ever heard of is the caveman diet - it just makes sense!!!

As I said up there before - the only sensible diet I have ever heard of is the caveman diet - it just makes sense!!!

Would have to agree (to some extent), beer, other plant (innocent) matter and meat is the best diet. Still vegans are in 2 categoies animal exploiters or rock eaters. Even if they just eat sand they will kill animals though habitat destruction

Vegans should aslo consider the microbial slaughter and overpopulation that their deluded values support.

Hmm well i'm definately not a vego I couldn't pass up a nice thick peice of rib fillet, although if there wasn't these nice cuts of meat I would probably go veg :) Cris I couldn't agree more about roos, not enough people eat them in australia and the meat tends only to be available in some butchers, which is a shame.. Roos are a common pest to a lot of farmers! I know they look pretty and skipy reminds a lot of people of their childhood but in a realistic world and not a fantasy land like a lot of people seem to live in on this forum roos in the outback are thriving beyond belief due to western agriculture. I do also credit slims post there would need to be some control measures in place of course otherwise well everyone can imagine the worst possibility in 100 odd years. P.s Never cook roo meat for to long its a very very lean meat and will go hard, always rest your meat so it relaxes before eating :)

All credit to people who can go vego, the meat industry is filthy and discusting and has a lot to answer for in the production methods.

I'm a vegetarian have been for twenty years i'm also fit and healthy. looks like meat eating may cause damage to thought process of young males (bite a bleeding animal and eat rocks smart stuff.)

Just finished a nice slow cooked marinated steak, with a red wine sause and steamed fresh vegies.

My red meat consumption has droped significantly over the years.

I love making curries. Roast some spices, 9chilli from the garden), brown some meat and add lentils and vegise. Put in the pressure cooker. Lentils and vegies disolve into a rich gravy.

In all modesty, my 4 bean and veg lagasana is to die for.

Never use a recepie book, cook better after a few drinks.

Worked with a bloke once who only drank water, plain milk, or 100% juice.

Oh. . . did I mention that he smoked dope like an industrial Hoover.

Pinched the idea from Jody-No-Fun.

Like a curry, best made the day before and allowed to mature.

Hi, just wondering if anyone else out there is vegetarian/vegan/raw food followers? I am looking at transitioning, and just wondering if anyone else is doing the same, and can offer any advice or good info.

Cheers!
My only advice would be to read this first

Does raw include meat? (sorry, may sound like I'm trying to be funny, but I am not...)

I read in a magazine about a 'caveman' diet - they'll only eat something that could have been eaten back in the day before manufacturing. Apparently that way you don't cut out any essential food (groups), you still eat meat, but you only eat unprocessed meat - ie no salami or anything.

Bread is a no no and all that stuff - basically it's first order foods that don't require conditioning in any way.

I believe milk was fine (but can't recall).

Cooking is fine - apparently they did have fire... And even adding herbs etc is fine too... But no milling, manufacturing or any of the sort.

The diet is meant to keep both weight and health in check - lowers bad cholesterol, increases metabolism etc etc...

To me - (IMPO) this is the only sensible diet I have ever heard of!
The link above was posted by an bioanthropologist (i.e. human evolutionary biologist) on another forum I lurk on. Not that I disagree with what you have posted. :)
Some say not to eat anything your great grandmother would not have recognised as food, some say if you cannot pronouce all the the ingredients on the label not to eat it.
I'm more inclined to agree with Slim, apart from the milk thing. Though I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant, drinking A2 milk does not affect me as much as lactose free milk.
Not being vego or vegan does not mean I don't eat veges. I know for a fact that I eat more vegetables a day than any vego I know, just less cereals.
Hey, slim6y. No raw meat in the diet I'm talking about. The true fraw diet would be a veggo diet as well, but also believes that foods lose most of their nutrients when cooked, so most things are eaten raw (salads, nuts, fruit, etc.) or dehumidified with some expensive machine I can't afford at the moment :) Heaps of fruit & veg juices with that one as well.
Raw foods diet isn't the wonder diet its made out to be. Many plant souced foods actually increase in nutritional value when cooked. Tomatoes and spinach are examples of these. Lycopene availability is increased greatly in cooked tomato. Cooking spinach destroys some nutritional value but breaks down the cell walls making other nutrients available. You mention fruit and vegetable juice like its a good thing, they are really just empty carbs. Eat heaps of real veges and no more than one to three serves of fruit daily.
So I was hoping there would be a few others into this health kick stuff - it's supposed to be great for weight management, stress management, and cholesterol levels, too :)
You know what else is great for weight management, stress and metabolism?
Weight training, interval training and team sports.
If I was you I would be worried about not getting enough cholesterol, it is from this that our body manufactures hormones such as testosterone etc. which help to control fat deposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back