heating methods

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhon4

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have an exo terra mini wide tank that I want to put my 10 month old children’s into but the heat mat isn’t going to cut it over winter. I live in a very cold climate so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on alternative heating methods, as the tank is too small for a heat dome and light. Cheers.

that tank is 30x30x30 . You can fit heat lamps on top.
I have a similar size with 2 runt dragons and have 2 domes on top, 1 of which is a large one

Hi guys. I have an exo terra mini wide tank that I want to put my 10 month old children’s into but the heat mat isn’t going to cut it over winter. I live in a very cold climate so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on alternative heating methods, as the tank is too small for a heat dome and light. Cheers.
G'day rhon4, You can make your own heat mat that will provide plenty of belly warmth, but it MUST be thermostatically controlled. To do so you will need a decent flooring tile that will fit in the bottom of your enclosure, a heat rope, AND a thermostatically controlled power source for the heat rope. The big shouty capitals are there as a WARNING the heating element can get hot enough to burn the snake if it comes in direct contact after being left constantly powered. One of the ropes I tested with IR thermometer reached 70+ Celsius. The method is to fix the heat rope to the underside of the tile, adhere the temperature sensor to the snake side of the tile, set the thermostat to the desired temperature with the heat rope plugged into the heating outlet on the thermostat. The example in the pictures is a 30x30cm tile, 15W heat rope that has been keeping my Murray Darling warm for 4 years. His hide sits directly over the tile, just took it off to take the pictures.

Attachments

• 001 Rope on Underside.JPEG
    001 Rope on Underside.JPEG
    799.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 002 thermostat probe on snake side.JPEG
    002 thermostat probe on snake side.JPEG
    808.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 003 thermostat.JPEG
    003 thermostat.JPEG
    484 KB · Views: 1
  • 004 Snake on tile.JPEG
    004 Snake on tile.JPEG
    959.7 KB · Views: 2
G'day rhon4, You can make your own heat mat that will provide plenty of belly warmth, but it MUST be thermostatically controlled. To do so you will need a decent flooring tile that will fit in the bottom of your enclosure, a heat rope, AND a thermostatically controlled power source for the heat rope. The big shouty capitals are there as a WARNING the heating element can get hot enough to burn the snake if it comes in direct contact after being left constantly powered. One of the ropes I tested with IR thermometer reached 70+ Celsius. The method is to fix the heat rope to the underside of the tile, adhere the temperature sensor to the snake side of the tile, set the thermostat to the desired temperature with the heat rope plugged into the heating outlet on the thermostat. The example in the pictures is a 30x30cm tile, 15W heat rope that has been keeping my Murray Darling warm for 4 years. His hide sits directly over the tile, just took it off to take the pictures.
the only problem with this is her enclosure is only 30x30, great idea but too big for her requirements

Back