Reptile License

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frogmancorey56

Reaction score
Hey guys,

just a question referring to licenses in schools. In my biology lab there is a what i believe to be a wild caught bearded dragon in fairly poor enclosure condition, just wondering what is the deal with licensing in schools. They recently had a hatchling but i told them it was not going to survive in such condition and they ignored that and i said it wont survive but they "know all". Now today in my biology class i realised that they have an adult in the same enclosure which makes me think the other 1 died over the Easter holidays.

Are they allowed to keep wild animals??

Don't want him to die.

All information greatly appreciated :)

Cheers Corey

I only know licensing for NSW schools, as I have the scientific license for our school. I had to apply to the NSW Schools Animal Care Ethics Committee and they tell DECCW (licensing authority) when the application is approved and I got the license. Application involves questions about housing, husbandry, animal origins and use in teaching/learning. I would assume QLD has a similar system. Contact your licensing authority about types of licenses. All info is available on the web in NSW.

Oh true, well then i doubt that it's licensed if they ask housing and husbandry care before completing license application because like i said i don't think they know what they are doing, its fairly slim and its got no hides, no veggies, no woodies only fed once a day and not much, its a adult beardy in a 2.5ft enclosure(glass aquarium). Nothing to climb and only pond stones for a substrate. Not sure if this is ok but to me i would not keep a lizard in these conditions.

We have 3 adult beardies at my school which are in enclsoures about 3 or 4 feet long. They have sand, rock, logs, UV light in daytime and heat at one end. They are fed greens and pinkie mice or crickets on an alternating schedule becasue they don't eat their greens if animals are offer. Perhaps you should ask your teacher who takes care of licensing at the school...

why dont you just approach your principal and ask him /her if he realises that reptiles as the one in the biology lab needed to be kept under license and the school could be fined if its being kept unlicensed and that the school will need to approach the appropriate authorities to have the regulated requirements to keep him or future reptiles or amphibians
or
if you dont wish to approach it that way ring qld licensing and simply ask them if they have a license to keep reptiles at your school as you think they are planning to keep some or straight out say they have one

personally i would just approach the principal about regulations and requirements to the governing laws as he/she may not even know the science lav have it in their possesion

*** science lab not science lav***
hope this advice helps

cheers yer i am going to approach the principal and if it is licensed give them a whole load of advice.
Maybe offer to buy them new equipment with their budget(new reptile equipment for my herps all round as well:)=P)

What school frogman? Those conditions sound pretty awful... Pm me if can't mention - I'm in bris too..

yer. At least it has heat but you would think that a school would be able to spend a lil bit of money to keep it in a sufficiently healthy enclosure.. :/

Perhaps you could say that you have pet beardies and would like to help care for it and do some cage decorating. Point out that students could observe more natural behaviours if the environment was a bit more complex. This is a nice way of saying that you want to rearrange the enclosure to give it a decent environment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back