Speaking Latin (What languages can you speak?)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

H.bitorquatus

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just curious, can anybody speak Latin or know how hard it is to learn? I am keen to learn to speak another language and think Latin would be the best one as it may help remembering Latin names for species plus sounds pretty cool and would be fun. Any tips on learning and how to pick it up quicker would be great.

Also feel free to add what languages you can speak, its always cool listening to other languages. I have always been keen to learn another, we learnt Japanese at school but I was too ignorant back then and failed completely and picked up 3 words, 1 of which is an insult.

I speak a few Spanish, Thai and abit of Indian.

Latin is hard to learn, you have to be very dedicated.

Good luck.

hmm i have a few
Australian
US
UK
Irland

no i know most of the basics hello, good bye, how are you, etc etc in Spanish, Japanese, German, French.

i work in a very multicultural office so i can pick up and learn a lot of different stuff from the people here.
to give you an idea of how multicultural, in the office we understand the following.
French
English
German
Spanish + South American dialect
Africans
Russian
Indonesian
Hindi
Tamil
Shingali (spelling im not sure)
Chinese

im pretty sure there is more in their but i cannot think of any atm

Latin is a very, very involved and difficult language to learn. You may find people make the argument that it's redundant now, but the brilliant thing about it is that it's the basis for the romanic languages. That is French, Italian, Spanish etc. If it turns out that you have an ear for languages, learning something like Latin can help pick the others up too eventually. However, I'd be interested to know where (indeed if) you are able to find someone outside of a university to teach it. Let me know if you do!

Latin seems very hard!
ATM im teaching myself
-German
-French
-Swedish
-Norwegian

i would like to learn Spanish but ill begin with those 1st!

All those comments about it being hard are kinda scaring me :lol: I might end up like you moose, and doing it "one day" ;)

I've wanted to learn Latin for a while... but could never do it because I'm already preoccupied with something else :p I speak about the same level of Japanese as Japanese toddler, but I've always remembered how to swear and cuss people out xD

You should have spoken some spanish at Sydney! I love that language it sounds so cool!

As far as I can tell learning any language has its own difficulties, and will require a fair bit of dedication...
at the moment, I know VERY basics in Italian, German, I'm learning Icelandic (albeit very slowly), know very little Japanese, and can have a basic conversation in sign language. It helps that I have German/Austrian workmates at work and we have a very large Italian population in this area, so have been picking those ones up as I go!!!
Good luck with the Latin though... It would be a beautiful language to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back