herper from another hemisphere

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canebrake_cruise

Reaction score
I am an avid herper/photographer from Indiana, US. I am on holiday in Australia for the next month or so before I head off to the snake-less cousin country, New Zealand. I'm quite disappointed that I'm here for your "winter/autumn" (I can't quite tell which it is yet, haha) and not able to be here in peak herp season. Where I live, there are virtually no herping opportunities in the winter/late autumn, but I have heard of winter herping in Australia. I have been unable however, to get details.

I'm in Melbourne now, and will begin heading north soon, until I leave the country on 1 July.

ANY information or tips on finding snakes or other reptiles this June would be wildly appreciated and put to good use.

-Ross Eads

HI Ross
cant really help you down south, but when you get to Nthn NSW/ SE Qld send me a private message on here and I will line you up with some local spots.

Some species are more easily found in the cold weather while they're hiding under things.

if you hit newcastle(1 1/2hr north of sydney), im more than willing to show you a private collection.. pm me if interrested... tony

in the "cold season"(winter and autumn) theres not much around on a nice clear day you might see a garden skink(if your lucky) where i live although ive heard the pythons are still out in QLD so best of luck mate but ya wont find ANYTHING in victoria atm you should definately come back in summer to see what aus is really about(oh and bring some sunscreen) :) lol

Come up to far north QLD you'll find monitors and snakes and all sorts basking in the winter sun. the midday temps are still hot enough to be wearing singlet and shorts, well for me anyway.

Hi Ross, if you make it up as far as QLD I'm sure I could find you a snake or two, or point you in the direction of where to find some.

Thank you to everybody who posted. It looks like I'll be making another post when I get near QLD to inquire about good local spots!

-Ross

If you are ever in the Southern Sydney Area, I have womas, Diamonds and carpet I can show you.. My friend has Centralian Beardie and Black soils.. OH And two Bredli... :)

At Richmond yesterday the herp instructor at the college bagged a Brown snake...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back