Feeding advice/confirmation please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondie84

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain I'm on the right track but I have overthought this so much that I am now starting to doubt my instincts.

My 5 1/2 month old MD, Lexie, refused her first feed Tuesday last week. It was her 3rd fuzzy rat which I offered 8 days after her last feed in response to her usual restlessness and food seeking behaviours. I tried everything, teasing her with it, left it in over night etc etc, she just wasn't interested.

So I accepted this refusal and decided I would just leave her and offer again this week. My dilemma is when to do this. I am going overseas for 2 weeks next Tuesday and would SO love her to have at least one feed before I go and leave her in the hands of my dad :?

So I'm not sure whether I should try her tonight or maybe tomorrow night which would then give me an opportunity to try her again if she refuses again. Or I could just leave it until maybe Saturday or Sunday and hope she takes it then.

I know its not a big deal if she doesn't eat, that it is winter and she could go a good couple of months without eating, and if I were going to be here for all of it I'm sure I wouldn't be as concerned. My newbie-ness is just showing through and I'm being a worrisome first time mummy.

Is there any chance that she is coming up for a shed? Many snakes will go off food during this period.

I thought of that but she's not due and not showing any other signs. Only shed about a month ago.

why dont you just try feed her a day or so before you go away - then you will know that she will most likely take it and she wont be as hungry for while your away. :) goodluck!

Thanks Brizi... thats what I was leaning towards.

my spotted hasnt eaten for nearly 6 weeks now. She did the same thing last year so Im not worried. Its winter and they dont eat as much. Try again in a couple of weeks.
cheers

just reading these posts has helped with my anxiety... my MD, 17mths, has just refused her first feed ever.. ive had her since nov last yr (09) , and i was wondering if this is due to the winter.. her temps are 30 -33 at hot end, and 26 - 29 cool end. she seems comfortable.. im going away in 6 weeks and am starting to worry if im going to have problems with them before i go.. I also have a 6mth old spotted, has also refused this feed, shes on pinky mice. her temps are around 30, at hot end and 26 at other end. she has been hiding for around 2 weeks now, and seems to never come out unless i get her out. how long is too long for them to go without a feed???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back