bathing a bhp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beney_boy

Reaction score
hey guys. had my bhp for over 6 weeks now and still hasnt shed. is fed every week on velvet rats. temp is 30-32. im heating with a heatcord, from memory its 25w and is run half of the enclosure. he looks to have some retained scales on his head from previous sheds. also looks to have been rubbing his nose recently on a course rock i gave him
i just wanted to know if anyone would recommend trying to bath him?

cheers, ben.

Last edited:
a bath may help or run him through your hands with a warm damp cloth but you could also maybe try a 2nd water bowl on the warm end of the enclosure to try bump up the humidity or give the enclosure a spray with some water once a night or something.

awesome. i think tomorrow morning i will try the warm damp cloth and will also add an extra water bowl at the warm end. thanks for the advice.

Get a large icecream container full of water. Something that he can soak in if he wishes. Oh and be careful about leaving water in the hot end. Elevated humidity for extended periods, especially in winter, can lead to respiratory issues.

Another option, is if the heat cord is external to the enclosure, just dump a few hundred millilitres of water into the enclosure. It'll soak into the substrate, and gently raise the humidity. It'll also act as an extra damp surface for him to run against.

How long has the rock been in there? It might do the trick to get him to slough.

Are his eyes blueing over?

i had a Darwin that didn't shed until 9 weeks after i got her, some grow quicker than others, if he's starting to rub his head he may not be too far off shedding, the extra water bowl could help, wait for him to shed then double check his head, check the slough to make sure the 'spectacles' (eye caps) and the tail tip have come off, if you notice any retained shed, use the damp towel preferably before it dries too much, its a lot easier to get off if its "fresh"
re the blue eyes, its not always easy to see in young ones, very small eyes ! !

Blackheads are always looking for a way out so the rubbing could have nothing to do with shedding. If he has retained some skin a warm soak should get it off otherwise just wait.

i think the eyes havent gone blue yet. i might try adding some water to the substrate as the clickclack is sitting on the cord. the rock has been in there for probably 2 months now. he is approx. 60cm long.
i will see how i go over the next few days, if he doesnt shed then i will try changing techniques.
thanks for the advice again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back