New box or not???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythons Rule

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Do you think she needs a new nest box? And would you make it same size or a bit bigger?

I want to get a dark container but am struggling to find one with a lid that’s not more than $20 my hubby has a real problem with me drilling a hole in a container that cost $36 lol.

pic's of her in the box
View attachment 164570

pic of her on eggs last year in same box
View attachment 164572

pic of her feeding beside her box
View attachment 164574

pic taken today of her on the box
View attachment 164577

i recon they'ed feel more comfy in a small one.... within reason

Well I was tossing up getting a new one due to the cracks on side of this one’s lid, also doesn't hold humidity all that well but she seems to love it anyway. Also I am off to a wedding in early October and don't get back till a week after expected lay date, so I was thinking a dark plastic tub would be better with humidity and heat and hopefully keep those dam flies off the eggs...don't want to get back to find the eggs dead again from those stupid things.

Tyson 18.jpgJust aswell it's not like this.
I know alot of people who prefer the old cardboard box and just replace it when needed.

Well I see you are in Darwin. As you know it is already as humid as heck already....it will only get worse by the look of this year so far. Flies though don't sound good.

yeah one thing that kills eggs quicker then anything else is those nasty flies there as small as friut fly. in the container its only reached 42% humidity but in a blastic container I could get 60% humidity so what ya think same size or a lil bigger?

Well I was tossing up getting a new one due to the cracks on side of this one’s lid, also doesn't hold humidity all that well but she seems to love it anyway. Also I am off to a wedding in early October and don't get back till a week after expected lay date, so I was thinking a dark plastic tub would be better with humidity and heat and hopefully keep those dam flies off the eggs...don't want to get back to find the eggs dead again from those stupid things.

these plastic storage bins work ok.. you can drill a hole using a hole saw as long as you put the tub on its side on some wood and drill from the inside through the plastic into the wood. If you try to drill without a solid backing you will split the plastic. you can get these tubs at bunnings or k-mart with lids for $7 to $10.
I trace the bottom onto marine carpet and cut out a piece that fits in the bottom.. then put some moistened sphagnum moss as nesting material.

If your worried about flies while your away.. as you use wire mesh enclosures that they can get through easily.. why not cover the cage wire with some fly wire mesh? Its pretty cheap, will keep the flies out and still let a good air flow and light into your cage. hope that helps. cheers

You'll find the flies wont go into the eggs until they are already dead. You will probably find your biggest problem will be keeping the eggs cool enough for mum to keep them at a stable temp, that would be the more likely cause of them going bad if they were fertile in the first place. The humidity also isn't that big of a deal if mum is coiled on them, she will keep the humidity how she likes it, if it is too low she'll just take a crap on the eggs to wet them a bit.

yeah one thing that kills eggs quicker then anything else is those nasty flies there as small as friut fly. in the container its only reached 42% humidity but in a blastic container I could get 60% humidity so what ya think same size or a lil bigger?

Easy as Colin thanks mate, the fly wire is great idea don't know why I didn't think of it...have plenty lying around. What about switching cages with my bhp instead though flies can’t get in. Might do that just don’t like annoying her while she's all fat.
The containers good to but will it be big enough for her I'll have to check it out.

bally - you don’t breed snakes do you....I'm not talking about regular hides here I am talking about nesting boxes you put moist material into which with your cardboard box's they will collapse.

I've used an upside down carboard box as a lay. She just layed them straight onto that and ontop of the BC.

Easy as Colin thanks mate, the fly wire is great idea don't know why I didn't think of it...have plenty lying around. What about switching cages with my bhp instead though flies can’t get in. Might do that just don’t like annoying her while she's all fat.
The containers good to but will it be big enough for her I'll have to check it out.

bally - you don’t breed snakes do you....I'm not talking about regular hides here I am talking about nesting boxes you put moist material into which with your cardboard box's they will collapse.

cardboard is fine as a lay box, they sell at pet shops. a box with a hole in the lid, a plastic bag with coco-core fibre(3 bricks per box) wet coco-core, put in bagged box. i think URS or REPTA-PET or someone makes them.

Hi Pythons Rule. I use foam containers that they use for shipping live fish in to the pet shops. Similar to the one above by Am Pythons, just a bit wider. Go to the pet shops here in Darwin and ask for one. They will usually give you one for free. They work a treat too. I just put a hole in the end. They will comfortably house a large carpet for egg laying.

Corey.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back