Rat breeding.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the rats only live just past there 2nd litter. Using shavings and have enough room. Used to use dog food but changed to rat food and give them carrots and lettuce regually.

100_1748.jpg

100_1747.jpg

To much BEAM they are to drunk to hump :) had the same problem with a friends lot i am looking after. They went off to meet Mr python and time to start all over again

Most of the rats only live just past there 2nd litter. Using shavings and have enough room. Used to use dog food but changed to rat food and give them carrots and lettuce regually.

100_1748.jpg

100_1747.jpg

I thought lettuce was useless with rats - goes strait through them, no nutritional? value - please correct me if im wrong.
I separate my males from the females once preggers, have 2 females per tub(use to put more females togrther but stopped doing this only because i hade heaps of space). I take the weeners out once they start feeding/drinking and give the female a break before putting them back with the males.
DSCF2401.jpgDSCF2400.jpg

Last edited:
i have been breeding rats for 4 years now. iv got 8 tubs of rats and mice breeding and they breed constantly one after the other the females usually give birth to about 8-10 babies each time. once the babies are weaner size i take them out of the cage as the females are usually already pregnant with the next lot of babies. i have about 3 females to 1 male in the tubs. and for the bottom bedding i just used recycled kitty litter from woollies it last a couple of weeks and nesting material shredded paper or tissues. i have never had to separate my females from males, the males stay with them all the time. if one of my females decide to eat their babies i dont take any chances for next time when she is pregnant she is put in another cage for feeding off. i dont give my rats alot of lettuce as it can give them runny poo. they get carrots, apples, bird seed, or bread that can no longer be eaten and loosen ( rabbit food). my rats breed all year round but am having a difficult time with trying to get the mice to breed. they dont have babies very often am thinking of starting fresh with the mice.

good luck hope they breed for you.

i got some old rats from someone on here, the biggest litter that they had for me was 4,
however, their offspring just had a litter of 12, and the other 6 are about to BURST !!!

i feed mine rabbit pellets and dong food, mixed with large grain bird seed. they are growing like crazy !!!

Aye, stay away from the lettuce (especially the classic 'Iceberg' type) - if you want to give them leafy greens, a few baby spinach leaves or endive every now and then is ok. Apparently the green sections of cauliflower leaves (I just pull it away from the stem/stalk) is a good cancer/tumor blocking food. Something good as a once-a-week treat imo.

ok thanks guys. Well that lettuce offering was few and far between. Been breeding my rats for about 6 yrs just this year is soooo frustrating. And those lids are great just dont look secure. Maybe ill just increase the female ratio or cut donw on my collection(yeah rite) thanks people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back