need some help with wiring

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suzpect

Reaction score
hey i have build a few enclosure now and want to go the next step. i want to wire the light fittting into a light switch so i can mount it on the front of the enclosure then have the power cord coming from the switch out,

i have tried looking on the net and cant seem to find any diagrams or any info thats helpful i was wondering if anyone in here has done this before and if they have photos of the steps they took or know a good website to go on ?

any info would be appreicated

thanks
nathan

At this stage we could do one of two things...

1) tell you what to do and then risk your insurance - because you lose ALL insurance and it's illegal to wire your own mains switches (as far as I am aware there's an electrical code that must be followed).

2) Give you the phone number of a registered electrician... Which you can use then you'll keep your insurance.

Alternatively if you wire in from a transformer that (as far as I am aware) is legal - but you'll find that you'll only get low voltage lighting....

PS - ---EDIT--- I may have misread - so I'll keep the above but add...

If you're wiring just a simple plug (pre-wired) to a light socket - I still think that's illegal, but it's only three wires and they're colour coded and require full insulation - 240V mains power is deadly...

That is easy to do - and only two wires are required.

But the fact is if you're asking on the net how to wire a switch and a light the first place you should be is at an electricians asking for a quote.

If you do decide to self-wire make sure you know what is the earth etc. I'm not 100% on colours so i'm not advising what I "think" it is. Advice from a professional with this sort of thing is the best idea and not to wing it. Goodluck.

Sorry - I've noticed a line above has been placed in the wrong area - the line with TWO WIRES is directed at 12V transformer directly plugged into a wall socket.

Wiring colours depend on the age of the wiring. It used to be red was positive and black was negative but somewhere along the line they changed it to brown positive and blue negative. An easy way to remember the positive wire is " brown knocks you down, red and you're dead" might be something to think about before you decide to do your own wiring dude....

I would give you a link to a diagram of the power colour coding. But not to sound like a prick, if you cant wire up a switch i dont want to go through my day thinking that i may have injured someone who was trying to wire up a switch. Or even killed them.

Seriously if you have to ask how to wire a switch then DON'T TRY AND DO IT YOURSELF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back