Heating taller enclosure. Advice needed.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobe404

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I currently have a 10-11 month old Frill Neck in a 45Hx60Dx90W enclosure with a 75watt Philips Flood and a 10.0 26w 150 CFL UVB.

I know that is not ideal but he does eat every day (Had him since the 4th of June). Poos and sheds fine from what I can see. Has settled in very nicely.
I alternate between Crickets and Woodies. As well as Vitamin and Calcium with D3 supplements. Superworms once a week. Mouse once a month.

Built a 120Hx60Wx60D enclosure for him (was hard to find ready-made taller enclosures.)
Although I am struggling to get the temperatures right. This is my first time dealing with a tallish enclosure.

I guess I'm just after advice on what types and / or wattage lights would put out enough heat for the new enclosure.
(I don't want to put him in there until the temperatures are right.) I tried an 80 Watt MVB but that just doesn't put out enough heat on it's own.

Oh another thing I was curious about. Which would be better for maintaining overall enclosure temperatures out of a CHE vs a Radiant Heat Globe?
Is there any difference between the Oz White CHEs and the usual Black ones?

Without any lighting or heating the taller enclosure is about 15-16c overall.

Starting to realise I'll probably need one or two more fixtures as well.

First picture is of the enclosure he will be going into. Second and third pictures are of him in his current enclosure.

Appreciate the input.

PS: On a side note. Is anyone else finding it increasingly more difficult to find 75-100 (or higher) Watt Flood Lights?

Attachments

• 20230706_154018.jpg
    20230706_154018.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6642(1).jpg
    IMG_6642(1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230604_160459.jpg
    20230604_160459.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
im about to blow your mind with a little bit of genius thinking

d1vjd3A.png

I can see what you did there. But that will probably only get the basking spot temperatures to the right point.

There's still the issue of heating the rest of the enclosure as well.

The reason I have the branch so low is because from what I've read an MVB should be at least 30cm away. Otherwise they can cause UV burns.
Not that I have to use an MVB. It's just that I originally intended to.

I can see what you did there. But that will probably only get the basking spot temperatures to the right point.

There's still the issue of heating the rest of the enclosure as well.

The reason I have the branch so low is because from what I've read an MVB should be at least 30cm away. Otherwise they can cause UV burns.
Not that I have to use an MVB. It's just that I originally intended to.
Hey Tobe, I believe Mercury Vapor bulb are banned in some states of the US, I’m not too experienced in them, but I believe there’s a health and safety reason behind the ban.

This might warrant steering clear of them and using an ordinary heating bulb + an extra fitting for a UVB bar/bulb.

This will take no more than 5 minutes to add.

Also you won’t need to provide heat to the bottom of the enclosure :) they’ll happily spend most of their time in the branches, coming down for a feed…. They rarely drink from still water so you’ll have to spray them down every couple of days and they’ll drink water running down the branches and side of enclosure

Hey Tobe, I believe Mercury Vapor bulb are banned in some states of the US, I’m not too experienced in them, but I believe there’s a health and safety reason behind the ban.

This might warrant steering clear of them and using an ordinary heating bulb + an extra fitting for a UVB bar/bulb.

This will take no more than 5 minutes to add.

Also you won’t need to provide heat to the bottom of the enclosure :) they’ll happily spend most of their time in the branches, coming down for a feed…. They rarely drink from still water so you’ll have to spray them down every couple of days and they’ll drink water running down the branches and side of enclosure

Well either way. I was only just thinking. No matter what bulbs I end up using.
Do you think It would be better to place the fittings front to back on one side. Or both at the back of the enclosure?
Although, I think they'll have to go front to back anyway. As the leads wont reach otherwise.
I've never seen him drink from his water bowl. It's really only in there for some humidity.
Usually I would give him and half of his enclosure a good mist / spray every day or so.

Back