NSW Pet Shops?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie2257

Reaction score
i was thinking you can buy reptiles is other states in pet shops. why cant we get them here in nsw and will we ever be able to?

The legislation is on the ministers desk. Has been for a while.

think of the extra money they could have been making off us all!

sorry to be a party pooper but god i hope not. Just look at how pet stores treat other species. Reptiles will just become another dispensable animal. At least now, prospective owners have to put in the extra effort to seek out a breeder, which means they're more likely to put more effort into being prepared for the animal. Buying a reptile on impulse would be a such a bad mistake.

l hope it does not become legal to sell Reptiles in pet shops in NSW the reason why is they just don't care one bit about the Reptiles they have in their shops, they are more interested in ripping people of by charging to much for what they have and wont tell you who they got the Reptiles from, so how do you know if they have come from a good breeder or not and why would you want to buy from a pet shop when there is so many good private breeders around that you can buy from at cheaper prices.

sorry to be a party pooper but god i hope not. Just look at how pet stores treat other species. Reptiles will just become another dispensable animal. At least now, prospective owners have to put in the extra effort to seek out a breeder, which means they're more likely to put more effort into being prepared for the animal. Buying a reptile on impulse would be a such a bad mistake.
i agree

It will only be in petshops that have fauna license. There are not that many. These are currently held by petshopd that sell licensed native birds.

going by all the horror stories from petshops in other states it's not a great idea.
but as -Peter said it will be very restricted as to what they can sell and who can sell them.
I think all these shops have already proved they are good enough to keep/sell native birds properly.
i'm still against it but they will be tightly regulated and should help spread the word of herps to a greater target market than they have now.

i go to victoria to buy reptiles and some pet shops are shocking !

on my last trip in july to august i saw several shops that didnt meet the high standard you would want to buy from.

one way to tell is look at their aviary section the amount of seed and poo on the floor if it gets cleaned daliy then there standards are high but if there is seed and poo everywhere and its looks very unclean.i dont buy at all.
one petshop in Vic is so shocking i have seen dead animals and reptiles in there enclosures ( this shop has been talked about on this site pently of times )

while i would like to see reptiles sold in pet shops i think they should be sold in REPTILE SHOPS. not just general pet shops WHY - some petshops have teenagers look after there shops on weekdays and weekends and most of these teenagers would not know or have any idea of keeping a reptile at high standards. there should be very tight goverance rules of sale. all reptiles should be quarantined to a high standard.

Last edited:
i go to victoria to buy reptiles and some pet shops are shocking !

on my last trip in july to august i saw several shops that didnt meet the high standard you would want to buy from.

one way to tell is look at their aviary section the amount of seed and poo on the floor if it gets cleaned daliy then there standards are high but if there is seed and poo everywhere and its looks very unclean.i dont buy at all.
one petshop in Vic is so shocking i have seen dead animals and reptiles in there enclosures ( this shop has been talked about on this site pently of times )

while i would like to see reptiles sold in pet shops i think they should be sold in REPTILE SHOPS. not just general pet shops WHY - some petshops have teenagers look after there shops on weekdays and weekends and most of these teenagers would not know or have any idea of keeping a reptile at high standards. there should be very tight goverance rules of sale. all reptiles should be quarantined to a high standard.

Reptilian-Kman, l agree with you that alot of pet shops here in Melbourne Victoria don't meet the high standards for when it comes to looking after what ever they have available in Pets not just reptiles.

There is only 3 pet shops l would even think of buying or selling any Reptiles with, and 2 are located in Adelaide and 1 here in Melbourne metro, l wont mention who they are on here but those in the know will know who l am talking about.

Last edited:
Definately agree with Reptilian-Kman... REPTILE SHOPS would def be something to be considered
Unfortunately i have heard the same thing about it being cleared by xmas!

I know of "reptile" shops in Sydney that sell animals over the counter off licence including natives and exotics so why would a "reptile" shop be better than another pet shop?
I assume that all all people in this hobby would like to see it grow and unfortunately the growth of the hobby has plateaued and i feel that to expose the hobby and joy of owning reptiles to more people that it is necessary for reptiles to be retailed in pet stores, but in saying that DECC need to be more vigilant on enforcing the standards of keeping animals and that also goes for private keepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back