how can I get my snake to eat ouside its enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonboy69

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls I have a 3 year old male Wheatbelt Stimson.I have had him since August this year I tried to feed him numerous times but he has just recently started to eat. He has like eaten 3times since then. But he hasnt eaten ouside of his enclosure only inside when he isnt disturbed .So I have to attract his attention with the food ie tap his face with the food item let him wake up follow the food and then eat. He ate a rat today so how can I for his benifit as well as mine get him to eat outside of his enclosure.Thanks for your help if you have positive remarks if not thanks but no negative remarks ok.

Get it feeding strongly inside the enclosure before trying to get it to feed anywhere else.

There is nothing wrong with feeding it inside the enclosure anyway...

No need to feed outside its encloser if its eating ok let it be maybe have a fussy eater some of us do

there is no benefit for either of you if he eats outside his enclosure. unless your substrate in a possible impaction problem, in which case is would suggest changing it for something that won't cause an issue.

If he isn't eating properly then there is likely to be a reason, getting him outside his comfort zone to eat isn't going to help, and possibly make it worse.
check your temps at your hot and cold end, check the temp of the prey you are feeding, if you are feeding it at room temp, heat it in warm water, the extra heat may be too hard to refuse.

worry about getting him feeding regularly, that should be your priority. Not getting him out of the enclosure for 'his benefit' and yours

Yeap yeap yeap, there is no need to take the snake out of its enclosure to eat. Whats its benefit to eat outside its enclosure?

Unless the op is worried about potential aggresive behavior developing from being fed in the enclosure its whole life. I know I have that issue with my stimmo. But as above, you should wait until he is on a regular feeding schedule before attempting

sorry to disagree chuck, all of mine are fed in their enclosure, and i dont have any aggression issues. If you feed out of the enclosure there is no reason why the snake wont associate being removed with being fed ! If mine feel my hand, they know its not food.

I feed a few of my snakes out of their enclosures. They are all really strong feeders and eat no matter where they are. Try leaving your snake in a feed tub for 10 minutes or so. Let it settle down. Put a towel over the top of the box if need be so its darker. If this doesn't work, just feed your snake in its enclosure. No real difference.

I used to feed all mine outside of their enclosure thinking that it would make them more aggressive if I fed them in their enclosure. I now feed all of them in their enclosure with no problems. Some of them are a bit territorial about their enclosure, but feeding them inside or outside didn't make a difference to this, it was just how they are.

Some of our snakes will only eat in their enclosure as this is where they feel safe, so if it's eating, let it be :)

I used to feed all mine outside of their enclosure thinking that it would make them more aggressive if I fed them in their enclosure. I now feed all of them in their enclosure with no problems. Some of them are a bit territorial about their enclosure, but feeding them inside or outside didn't make a difference to this, it was just how they are.

Some of our snakes will only eat in their enclosure as this is where they feel safe, so if it's eating, let it be :)

+1. Mine have been the same on all accounts.

Hi dragonboy69,
Could you provide some clarity of your comment "so how can I for his benifit as well as mine get him to eat outside of his enclosure", so that people can provide informed feedback.
We feed all of our snakes outside of their enclosure mainly to reduce the risk of our guys thinking we are food when handling for any reason, (a lot of people think this reduces enclosure protection/aggression).....BUT this doesn't mean it's the only way !!
I would keep going the way you are going at the moment, as ongoing feeding is a high priority and you don't want to cause a problem, (and for no real benefit gained by feeding outside....I don't think an enclosure protective Stimmie is a big issue).

Hi dragonboy69,
Could you provide some clarity of your comment "so how can I for his benifit as well as mine get him to eat outside of his enclosure", so that people can provide informed feedback.
We feed all of our snakes outside of their enclosure mainly to reduce the risk of our guys thinking we are food when handling for any reason, (a lot of people think this reduces enclosure protection/aggression).....BUT this doesn't mean it's the only way !!
I would keep going the way you are going at the moment, as ongoing feeding is a high priority and you don't want to cause a problem, (and for no real benefit gained by feeding outside....I don't think an enclosure protective Stimmie is a big issue).

well this is what I meant didnt want him to become enclosure protective/aggression as I have grandchildren who I would want to handle him.but he hasnt shown any sign of either so let him eat inside as long as he eats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back