NSW Toll Roads - Help (they're a joke....)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
So...

I'm doing my big three states trip starting next week....

I'll be passing through a multitude of toll roads I am sure....

I've set up my Gateway toll road thingo - but... It expires when I need to return... (that's the problem - I am away for 42 days - most of these toll passes expire in 30 days!!!).

So while on holiday I'll incur fines if I don't 'ring' the toll companies... Like I want to be doing that over christmas on my holidays....

So I thought ahead - I'll do the NSW toll roads (if I feel like going to Sydney for a day or so) ahead of time - I'll do it online...

Now - I do not know NSW roads and I don't know if I can avoid the toll roads (travelling Newcastle to Bateman's Bay and Eden to Newcastle).

If you know I avoid all toll roads I can miss going to Sydney :)

However... When trying to apply I find I can't apply online because I am towing... So I wait for the ridiculous messages in their phone service to be told I need to call closer to the time (19th December I will be heading to Bateman's Bay from Newcastle).

So... I'm saying - I don't want to be on the phone during my holiday to them... can't I just set it up now? She hung up on me...

Anyhow... Do I need it (do you know???)

Then Victoria... That's my next conquest :)

I'm not really answering your question, but don't you have a Go Via tag? When I went down to Sydney, I had a rental car and I just put my Go Via tag on my windscreen and it bipped when I went through the tolls. Easy as, no phone calls, all tolls paid.

Can't give you any information about the toll roads, but google maps does have an option to avoid toll ways.

I do not have a go via toll beepy card thing... The reason... I live in a toll free zone :)

I have also my own car - not a rental... So I don't get their benefits!!!

As for avoiding toll roads - I will do my utmost best :)

aahhhh tolls, between work and play I rackup about $70 on a good week!

Just pay them online!!

aahhhh tolls, between work and play I rackup about $70 on a good week!

Just pay them online!!

Yeah... I can see them being pricey - but paying online easier said than done... when you're a long way from the ease of the internet :)

I guess I could take 3000km of extension cord.... That'll do it...

I've sorted it out though... I have to phone the RTA on December 30 (the call alone will cost more than it's worth) and then re-book car + trailer.

Though they weren't sure if I'd pass a toll road from Eden heading north.

Slim, maybe look at getting an eToll tag. It's compatible to any toll road in Aus (as far as I'm aware), & you can top up the account yourself with whatever amount you want, as frequently as you need. There's no need for a direct deposit if you don't want it either. So if you're not near the interweb frequently, you can top it up that way, as it's available to you.

If you don't want to do that, you can do your travel path on Google Maps, & select a route that avoids toll roads (Get Directions > Show Options > tick Avoid Tolls). There are plenty of ways through Sydney to miss the tolls but that'll depend on where you're coming from/going to as to which way you'll take. Although again, that requires the internet.

I have three words for you Sock Puppet - Gee Pee Ess!!!

I think I will try to use the 'avoidance' method as suggested :)

I have three words for you Sock Puppet - Gee Pee Ess!!!
I think I will try to use the 'avoidance' method as suggested :)

Fair enough & good luck.
Personally, being my usual stubborn self, I am straight out refusing to get a GPS for the car, that's what the Gregory's is for (UBD, Melways etc for you other state people), & even then I only use that once my own inbuilt tracking system fails me (read, I get lost en-route)

ive had toll notice's sent to me and just not paid them, they dont seem to chase them too hard.....dont see why we should pay a private company to use a road that our taxes paid to build anyway! or if u ride a bike, just lean back and cover ur rego plate with ur hand...works every time!

It's easier to avoid tolls heading North from Eden to Newcastle. Harbour Bridge is only tolled North to South. All Toll roads are avoidable, you may add a few minutes to your trip, not a lot. I drive all around Greater Sydney most days and I haven't paid a toll for over a year. I might have spent a little more time in the car, but a doubt it's a lot, and in many cases I probably avoided a lot of traffic doing so.

It's easier to avoid tolls heading North from Eden to Newcastle. Harbour Bridge is only tolled North to South. All Toll roads are avoidable, you may add a few minutes to your trip, not a lot. I drive all around Greater Sydney most days and I haven't paid a toll for over a year. I might have spent a little more time in the car, but a doubt it's a lot, and in many cases I probably avoided a lot of traffic doing so.

I'll use the ol Navman to direct me off of Toll Roads... But I worry about it - the fact is that it gets me lost when trying to find main roads let alone back streets and dark alleys!!!

A couple of bits of paper the same colour as your plate with different numbers/ letters should do the trick.....this is Australia, the home of the blue commo....:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back