Wild Eastern Brown laying eggs while in care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

$NaKe PiMp

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i have an Eastern brown snake in care at the moment which i just checked and found it had laid a single,almost conical shaped egg,which on closer examination was infertile, not surprising due to its unusual appearance.

i am now awaiting any further laying and have set up a lay box in the enclosure with a substrate of the only type i could find at 100am this morning which was moist potting mix lol,but i am sure it will be better than nothing and i will transfer any fertile eggs into someones incubator as i dont have one at moment.

now i have been reading some googeled info extracts from papers and P.textilis
has been known to lay un fertilised eggs,has any other keepers experienced this,or had a wild brown snake in there care start laying eggs??

I haven't had browns do it but i have had others. The stress of being captured often causes them to drop prematurely and premi eggs aren't viable. They will candle ok but die off pretty quick.

As far as unfertilised vs. infertile eggs, no idea lol.

Oh and they don't really need to go in an inc, you could leaves them on a shelf at non-aircon room temp and they should still hatch.

this snakes been in care for quite awhile so i wouldnt expect stres of capture,its laid another infertile egg,but still has eggs i can feel still inside its body.
ive made her as comfortable as i can,and she is going from her lay box to thermoregulate on her large heat rock tehn back into laybox periodically.
so only two unfertilised eggs in 20 hours

Good luck. You could always incubate the eggs in a spare enclosure if you have one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back