Help! Baby blue tongues ripped from mother

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jham66

Reaction score
We heard the neighbors dogs battling something earlier and ran out to see what was going on. We could see the grass moving so I jumped the fence for a look. Found a big ripped apart bluey with babies strewn around on the lawn. I picked up all the ones that hadn't been critically injured. I now have four baby blueys. I have given wildlife rescue a call but am waiting for a reply.

Should I be doing anything in the meantime? Food, water or heat?

water would be fine for the time being. Were they in their sacs or had they been born earlier. If they are healthy then they will be fine to be released in a safe area locally

I'm not really sure, but I would assume heat, and keep them quiet. Good luck, hopefully someone with more knowledge can help you.

Some of them had parts of the sack still attached. I'm sure they weren't born in the conventional way. They seem healthy and tried hard to defend themselves when I picked them up and treacy when I go near the container I have them in.

sounds good, she may have already started giving birht while being attached. they are usually born in a sac with some yolk left which they eat. if they are active and alert you should be fine to let them fend for themselve as they would if their mother was left alone. good work saving the little ones though. Find them somewhere safe and release them. the yolk that they have absorbed and fed on will keep them happy for a number of days.

Would I be interfering too much if I went and bought them their first meal of meal worms or something else (? What would be better?) before sending them on their way, I'm not sure they got the yolk to eat, it was a bit of a bloody mess!

YOu can try a little bit of wet dog food or some boiled egg. but they may not want to eat just yet. but it wont hurt to try them.

IMAG0352.jpg

Here's a picture

Will try a bit of boiled egg. Thanks Helikaon.

I'll post again to let you all know what eventuates......

You could simply let them go...... they would be fine.....

However If you do want to feed them (I probably would it gives them a healthy head start) egg is a good idea..... if they won't eat boiled........ crack a raw egg on a small plate.... they just lap it up.... the photo attached shows 1 day old Northerns......

If they won't eat it then put them in the shallow egg on the plate.... as they try to get out of it they finally cotton on to what it is & start lapping it up.....

Cheers

Attachments

• DSCF0062.jpg
    DSCF0062.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 175
I went back over on the suggestion of my wife and found one more alive baby, this one had already made it across half the yard, but on closer inspection found two gashes that exposed its innards. Took it off to Booval Vet Hosp. It still had a little bit of egg before it left and seemed very active.

Gave some egg as suggested and they loved it, we will release them tomorrow at a close by nature reserve. We understand they would probably be fine on their own now, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have eaten their yolk and sac so we'll give them a bit of a feed first......
IMAG0357.jpg

Ok, they all perked up and were trying to get out so they are all now free and hiding in our vege patch. We regularly see baby blue tongues in our yard, so it must be ok for them. Just hope they don't end up in the neighbours yard, her foxy is a herp menace!

Her name is Ruth, she referred me to Helen. I just googled her phone number, she belongs to Ipswich Koala protection society. I don't know how I originally got her number, I think it may have been when we had a Koala in the vacant block across the road. I just looked up "Rescue" on my phone..... LOL!

We went on the information given on this forum, the wildlife carers/rescue crews do a great job, but admit themselves that they aren't experts. The injured one went off to Booval Vet Hospital, didn't give my details there but I might ring next week and see what eventuated.....

the little bub is doing very well :)

six stiches later not out of the woods yet though as its airsacs were extruding when inflated

well started eating thisarvo fine so should be good jsut gotta make sure infection doesnt take over

Good work on rescuing them, that is fantastic to see! Hope this one makes it through, but thats a great sign that he is feeding, he must not be in shock at all. Fantastic sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back