Breeding Beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarke.93

Reaction score
Ok this is just a question and i do not want to be flamed from anyone a simple no and a reason would be great.

Well soon i will be buying a beardie and i was wondering tonight if i could buy a male and female and see if they breed?
or would i have to buy a breeding pair already?
is it really hard to breed these guys?
and what kind of cost to do so would it be?
what kind of set up?
really just everything on breeding these guys and if its possible to do so.

once again do not want to get hammered by hate on here.
if not id like the info anyway just to build on my knowledge on these guys.

Cheers,
Jake.

id suggest keeping them for atleast 4 yrs before you try to breed them if you havent kept beardies before. trust me in that time you will learn oodles and oodles. it is rather costly to breed them and you need extra enclosures to seperate the parents and for the bubs ect.. also you need an incubator and lots and lots of crickets. (which cost a fortune trust me im doing it now) also if you buy a boy and a girl and they are living together and are over 12 months they WILL breed. keep them seperated until your ready also get yourself a copy of keeping bearded dragons. its really informative and do as much research as possible. talk to breeders that have been doing it for years. this is my first season and ive had beardies since i was about 14 so around 6 yrs and this is the first time ive tried with our pair and im still learning about these awesome dragons. best advice i ever got "if its worth it dont rush it"

id suggest keeping them for atleast 4 yrs before you try to breed them if you havent kept beardies before. trust me in that time you will learn oodles and oodles. it is rather costly to breed them and you need extra enclosures to seperate the parents and for the bubs ect.. also you need an incubator and lots and lots of crickets. (which cost a fortune trust me im doing it now) also if you buy a boy and a girl and they are living together and are over 12 months they WILL breed. keep them seperated until your ready also get yourself a copy of keeping bearded dragons. its really informative and do as much research as possible. talk to breeders that have been doing it for years. this is my first season and ive had beardies since i was about 14 so around 6 yrs and this is the first time ive tried with our pair and im still learning about these awesome dragons. best advice i ever got "if its worth it dont rush it"

Alright cool thanks, BTW with you saying if they are over 12 months they will breed do they have to be over 12 months to breed so i could get them now and hold onto them for a year or so??
yea im going down to a breeder hopefullly wednesday at this stage.
if they start to breed before 12 months could i possibly put a divider between the two of a 4 foot tank??
since they are so small to begin with?
btw how would you know if they would get along?

yeah i agree wait a bit before breeding. 2 dragons for a beginner is going to be hard esp if you want to put them in the same enclosure (this is generally not recommended btw).
Alot of people are breeding for the heck of it and it is flooding the market with poor quality reptiles and causing lots of chaos. Not saying that is your intension and if you really want to breed them then go for but do it with the right motives. :)
enjoy mate

yeah i agree wait a bit before breeding. 2 dragons for a beginner is going to be hard esp if you want to put them in the same enclosure (this is generally not recommended btw).
Alot of people are breeding for the heck of it and it is flooding the market with poor quality reptiles and causing lots of chaos. Not saying that is your intension and if you really want to breed them then go for but do it with the right motives. :)
enjoy mate

OK, think ill hold off for a bit then with just the one and learn as much as i can before i go onto breeding, if i do decide to since ive now learnt from other sources its costly.
although this would be a great thing to try out ill wait a year or two before i give it a crack.
ill probably keep the beardie babys for family only or friends, since the market for them is flooded.
also never my intention to breed for the heck of it and poor quality.
just thought it would be fun since alot of people try with there reps.

will your family and friends be able to rehome up to 25 matchlings?????? rmemeber thats a heck of alot of homes to find. and yes if you have a male and a female once they hit around 12 months they willl try to breed. but if left together the males continuing pestering will stress the female and can make her ill. not wanting to eat ect. if you want to put a divider in and just seperate them i would suggest no less than a 6x2x2 tank split in half. i have this atm for some of mine i would still like it a bit bigger and we are upgrading atm but i would definetly not recomend anything smaller than that. adult beardies do get big.

will your family and friends be able to rehome up to 25 matchlings?????? rmemeber thats a heck of alot of homes to find. and yes if you have a male and a female once they hit around 12 months they willl try to breed. but if left together the males continuing pestering will stress the female and can make her ill. not wanting to eat ect. if you want to put a divider in and just seperate them i would suggest no less than a 6x2x2 tank split in half. i have this atm for some of mine i would still like it a bit bigger and we are upgrading atm but i would definetly not recomend anything smaller than that. adult beardies do get big.

Up to 25 hatchlings LOL, try at least 70-80+, 1 mating will do most females the season as far as fertile eggs go and once they start to develope eggs you can expect them to go for a few months.

Last edited:
ohhhhhh no reading this thread has me a little worried now im a newish beardie owner i got two early dec 2010 an went back last week an got 3 more they are only about 6-8 wks old so dont knows what sex they all are yet as 5 little ones are fun enough to feed an look after let alone 25 hatchlings lol

there are some great books available. always good to do heaps of re search.

lol beeman

i ment 25 a clutch sorry i should have been more explanative! my girl went for 3 clutches this season and the younger girl did 2 but i have heard of females going for 6!!! thats a whole lot of hatchlings

My dragons must be weird, they been together for four years now, and i haven't had any hatchies lol, infact it was only very recently ieven saw eggs!

furiousgeorge... maybe you have two girls :D

Clarke... I suggest a couple of things... firstly if you want to breed eventually then get yourself one very nice quality beardie for now. Watch him grow and learn how to look after him along the way. Doing this you will learn how to look after a whoooole bunch of babies eventually. When its old enough to sex it, then you can start the loooong process of trying to find a suitable equally quality partner. :D I have a lovely boy who I have been looking for just the right mate for well over a year. To me, its not at all worth breeding your average run of the mill beardie that everyone else is breeding and selling for $30 each. If you breed, make sure its something nice and a little special. My boy has special markings I am going to be concentrating on.
Beardies arent as easy for a novice as you might think... depending on where you live getting a good gradient in their enclosure can be really hard. I found it tough in mackay. You will need a good year to learn the basics :) As much research as you can do, sometimes you need to see it for yourself as it happens.

Its ok to have a goal in mind... to breed nice beardies eventually :) But its a long term goal and you will achieve nothing by jumping into the deep end with a breeding pair when you dont know how to keep a beardie well in the first place. I dont mean that to sound mean. :) I say definitely go for it... breeding and raising animals is the most rewarding thing you can do if you do it right. The sense of pride in raising some beautiful quality animals and seeing them make others happy... watching all those years of hard work and money pay off when a special bub hatches. But you only get these rewards when you put in the hard work and money. So keep your dreams of breeding eventually but do it the right way with high quality animals that are a bit special.

There is a lot of differing views on keeping... and a lot of different books. My advice is to get a good quality comprehensive book and spend a bit of money on it and as a novice... stick to the advice it gives you! When you start to learn a bit more from experience etc you will start to discover everything they say in the books is not reeeeally 100% accurate to your situation. This is why nothing beats experience :)

The key points you will need to begin planning now are:

*Get yourself a nice starter beardie... a high quality example of an interesting phase or an odd bub in a clutch with different colours or markings.
*Get yourself a nice set up for him/her.
*Over time build up the equipment you will eventually need... incubator, lots of little enclosures (a bunch of 2foot aquariums with mesh lids would work), feeding equipment, quarantine cages etc
*As soon as you can reliably tell the sex of your beardie, start a hunt for the perfect mate. You may need to put yourself down on a waiting list. You will likely be looking for a yearling so that you will reliably know the sex of the animal you are purchasing. Don't get multiple pairs to begin with because if you are serious about breeding you will not only want to... but need to keep back babies you have bred for future breeding :)
*Get a great book and learn learn learn! Talk to others about their experiences... browse websites of other breeders to see what new phases and morphs are about...

I have probably forgotten something :) But good luck! Make sure you get that good book to start you off and make sure every step you take is made with quality in mind :)

It's been 6-7 years aince I've kept beardies, but don't they double clutch 3 weeks after the first lot?
You could always start with a single hatchling and pair him/her up as a sub-adult when you're sure of the sex.

Razzman, I hope they don't all turn out to be boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back