Java moss

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
some pics of a few java moss logs i have had laying around the garden

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

had to give these ones a trim so iv started a bigger one to see how that goes

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

this stuff grows keeps choking my tank so i decided to try something different with it rather than just throw it out
all I need now is an enclosure to put it in
though after all this rain I spend about half an hour each night before bed throwing frogs back OUT the window so i dont think i need any in a tank

next week i get some flame moss, xmas moss and peacock moss so I will have a few more types to play around with but i dont think these varieties do as well out of water?

IMG_1601.jpg

anyone using it on their rock walls?

I had one strand that came in the water with my saratoga............ now i have a tank full lol
i think they sell Java moss on ebay
if you cant find any i could possibly post you a bit if you pay postage

does i grow out of water? and what temps can it stand

the fish tank is unheated, growth slows down in winter, i dont think the stuff outside have been a full winter here and it gets below zero so any shallow water outside freezes
it will grow out of water as long as its wet, those logs are sat in a shallow tray of water so the wood remains constantly wet

Great logs!! I never thought of putting it out in the garden..and with all this rain as well...
Better than throwing it out...I will give it a go...:)

Thanks for the tip..

Kelly...:)

Yeah its good stuff, I have a 2ft natural looking T tank with it growing all over the rock wall backdrop, looks awesome.

java moss is just the best :D It just keeps on going and going. We have a shrimp tank with java moss.

Jannico, next time you are at daves let me know, I have tanks full of the stuff, java fern as well.

It definately could

although I havent had any sucess with growing it in my ponds
but the potential is definately there

once it dries out though it doesnt seem to come back well or at all really!
outside I have to keep it in large shallow trays placed under a drip from the roof so it wont dry out as even a few hrs dry will ruin it
but in a town situation where it could end up in a drain or gutter and make its way into a watercorse it could most probably become a problem
I dont think it is as invasive as many other aquarium plants but im sure in the right conditions it could cause a problem

Last edited:

Only have this one from when I first started it up. Kept it moist and it just kept growing from there :)

At the moment though it is recovering after the tank was kept in darkness for 1.5 months (The female had an egg sack). I'll take some new pics and do a thread once it's all pretty again.

Edit: For those wondering, the ground covering is dried spagnum moss, which also got growing with the moisture. And to the right under the ferns there is some native moss which looks really cool. No idea what species it is though.

Attachments

• sp. black enclosure.JPG
    sp. black enclosure.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 68
Jannico, next time you are at daves let me know, I have tanks full of the stuff, java fern as well.

Thanks Pike1 will do, he comes over to my place on Tuesday's for bass lessons so get in touch with you then.

How does java moss go without light? other than light which filters through the glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back