should i be concerned......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle_alex

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all,
i need some advice, in recent months i posted threads that my childrens python that i purchased in march was not feeding. i have 3 other childrens and they havent gone off there food and are noticeably bigger in size , the temps in all cages (click clacks) are set between 30-34 hot end and about 26-28 cold end consistently, food is only offer every 5 to 7 days
she has shed without any dramas.

now i might get crucified for this but come October i couldnt take it anymore, i decided i would assist feed(forcefeed) her, only because i could feel her skeleton, it was a great success, got the smallest pinkie i could find and went from there, i thought that would be the end of my worries, but NO i have had to assist her 4 more times since then. but i have to say it is easier and now, as soon as she grabs the pinkie she starts coiling my finger which then i let go and she does the rest.

now all tho i am glad that i have experienced assist feeding, have i made her lazy, becoz she will not take food off the tongs or if its left in the cage, and should i continue assisting her feed.

should i see a vet?
was thinking of breeding my own mice good idea?
anyone had same sort of experiences and what they did?

any help would be great
cheers
alex

As much as I hate to say this.... maybe you need to try and feed her a live mouse and see if that helps her to start feeding again

My partners atherton was not eating and once we gave her a live mouse, she happily ate frozen ones from then on

I dont see any problem with force feeding her, clearly she is accepting thing after a certain point and she needs to feed

Keep us up to date :)

it may be illegal/frowned upon, but in some cases i agree can be neccessary. i think if your going to feed live food keep it to yourself and only do it when seriously neccessary. i found 1 of my woma's went off her food but is now back feeding but is very slow to take it. im not a big fan of click clacks but each to there own. try putting the snake on something in a quiet area and go from there. perhaps it isnt use to feeding in a click clack and isnt settled in or stressed. its hard to say the exact reason but definately try lots of different things. try using food that has an amount of warmth close to normal body temp for an animal. no idea is stupid but try and avoid assist feeding where possible.
hope some of this helps...

If you don't want to live feed, and yes it's illegal but do what you have to do. Perhaps you could try freshly killed, grab the mouse by the tail and bang it's head in the bench it doesn't take much force and is a quick end for the mouse. Try offering this, i personally feel that live food is a little dangerous as if the snake has lost condition it may not kill it instantly and may suffer an injury in the process.
Good luck!

as micksta9 said , id try fresh killed first . my childreni will only take fresh killed [ no worries as i breed my own mice]

In QLD feeding live is illegal.... I think other states have a very similar law... but under dire circumstances it is exempt. That means it is still illegal and classed as animal cruelty... but you can quietly practice it without consequence under circumstances such as an animal you are keeping will die if not fed this way. In which case you must also make attempts to promote the animal feeding on killed food.
Its a very tenuous loop hole. Just as killing feeder animals yourself is animal cruelty, but exempt. As long as you are doing it yourself in the most humane way possible, behind closed doors, both animals belong to you and you do not derive any pleasure from it yourself you will not be punished. Both acts remain 'illegal' to make those who abuse the loophole easy to prosecute.
In which case you shouldnt really be talking about or promoting either lol Basically as long as you aren't grossly misusing the loophole, its exempt.

I too thought it was flat out under no circumstances... but after going through all applicable legislation the loophole is pretty clear. :)

Hi just an update

hi all
Thank you to those of you how had some input into my dilemma, and I'm happy to report that tonite the lil childrens python made a break through.

Several weeks ago I started to assist feed my young childrens python then as weeks went on she started to do the work herself after I placed the Pinkie in her mouth, last week I was holding her and in the other hand I was holding the pinkie and she ever so gently opened her mouth and I placed the pinkie in l, but today after alot of investigating and tongue flicking she struck at the pinkie in my hand and began coiling....I know it's early days but things are looking very positive
Cheers
Alex

Good news! Hope this is the corner turned to the road of regular feeding normally:)

Congrats! I hope that you have regular feeding from now on.

If not, I found that my jungle is picky about temps.

she strikes and coils but just sits there. she just noses at the rat FOREVER!! so by the time she actually wants to eat the rat has cooled slightly. so she uncoils and just wanders around her tub.

I don't know if it's okay but I just chuck the rat back in warm water again for a few minutes. I figure it's okay because it's within the same 30-40 mins of first warming? Anyway, when I offer the rat again she strikes and just starts swallowing or noses around for less then swallows.

so if everything else is exactly the same as your others that are feeding fine I'd say try a slightly warmer food item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back