Changing adult snake from tub to enclosure feeding.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delilah

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I’m brand new to snake keeping and I’ve had my four year old Murray Darling python for all of five days!

She has always been fed in a separate crate and I would like to change to enclosure feeding. She is around two metres long and weighed 3.4kg at her last weight check. She has only just switched (at the last feed) to four-weekly and an XL jumbo rat, which I’m told she managed fine. She is due for a feed and my feeling is that I should stick with the crate for her first feed with me, just to make sure she is eating ok. At the same time, I am mindful of not stressing her by putting her in the crate (even though this is what she is used to) during her settling in period.

She has spent most of the past five days in her hide, with her head and up to 40cm of her body out through the day. I can see evidence of a bit more exploration at night.

I’m concerned that if I feed in the enclosure this time, she will take the rat into her hide and I will have to disturb her to check on her feeding. Also, I haven’t been opening and closing her enclosure much at all, due to trying to leave her alone to settle in. Am I better off getting her used to my comings and goings in the enclosure before introducing her to her first ever enclosure feed?

Advice from experienced folk would be greatly appreciated.

shes more likely to feed in her enclosure
very rarely will they strike, coil and then not eat the food, if they did I would break it down to inadequate housing or thawing technique (Dont be fancy, Just use a bucket of HOT tap water NOT boiling)

Last edited:
shes more likely to feed in her enclosure
very rarely will they strike, coil and then not eat the food, if they did I would break it down to inadequate thawing technique (Dont be fancy, Just use a bucket of HOT tap water NOT boiling)
Thank you! Apparently she’s always been a good eater so I’m not overly worried about that and I definitely expect the feed to be more successful in her enclosure and that is my preference going ahead.

My issue is new home, first feed, first EVER feed in any enclosure! I worry that she will think when the door opens in future, food is coming. I know you’re probably rolling your eyes at this point (I’ve read many posts on this subject) but hear me out….I totally get that if she was used to me farting around in her enclosure, she would know that most of the time, the door opening doesn’t mean a feed BUT as I have only had her for six days, that hasn’t been established yet so would that set a precedent?

I know she would likely know when it’s feed time from the smell and I would feed her at night and handle in the day, etc., etc. but I’m a neurotic, over-analysing, newbie snake keeper who needs reassurance 😆😳

I don’t bother feeding outside the enclosure, none of my snakes get aggressive from feeding in there, just learn the behaviour and learn to understand there body language and you can avoid a bite, they normally are just hungry if they bite, I’ve been bitten once when changing water bowl but I was just moving to fast and spooked him. Cage aggression comes from incorrect husbandry in my experience. So the tub feeding I see useless but there can be exceptions for some individuals I guess, and maybe when a snake has been sick or has trouble eating maybe but I haven’t had that happen, most people start with a hatchling since it will grow up familiar with you and your smell, I haven’t adopted adults because I prefer to raise hatchlings but since it’s obviously well established in feeding lol I wouldn’t worry to much, normally with a new snake I’ll leave it for 7 days at least, then handle for 20 minutes in the morning then leave it for the day and feed at night when it’s dark and just check in 10 minutes later and they have normally finished. Just make sure it’s thawed properly.

I don’t bother feeding outside the enclosure, none of my snakes get aggressive from feeding in there, just learn the behaviour and learn to understand there body language and you can avoid a bite, they normally are just hungry if they bite, I’ve been bitten once when changing water bowl but I was just moving to fast and spooked him. Cage aggression comes from incorrect husbandry in my experience. So the tub feeding I see useless but there can be exceptions for some individuals I guess, and maybe when a snake has been sick or has trouble eating maybe but I haven’t had that happen, most people start with a hatchling since it will grow up familiar with you and your smell, I haven’t adopted adults because I prefer to raise hatchlings but since it’s obviously well established in feeding lol I wouldn’t worry to much, normally with a new snake I’ll leave it for 7 days at least, then handle for 20 minutes in the morning then leave it for the day and feed at night when it’s dark and just check in 10 minutes later and they have normally finished. Just make sure it’s thawed properly.
Thanks so much for the advice. I’ve fed her, in her enclosure and she was super keen. She is in the process of ingesting as we speak so I’ll let you know how she goes. I’ll give her a few days and then get her out to handle.

Edited to say that she got her huge rat down and is now resting. Hopefully handling in a few days will be problem free 🤞

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice. I’ve fed her, in her enclosure and she was super keen. She is in the process of ingesting as we speak so I’ll let you know how she goes. I’ll give her a few days and then get her out to handle.

Edited to say that she got her huge rat down and is now resting. Hopefully handling in a few days will be problem free 🤞
Maybe give it a few more days on top of your timetable. 👌

Maybe give it a few more days on top of your timetable. 👌
Thanks for the advice, Wally. I ended up feeding on her 7th day of being with me and handled her on day 11. We were both super nervous but she was very cooperative and it’s definitely getting easier each time she comes out. I already want another snake!!

Back