Funny snake....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sagara_cp_2006

Reaction score
I have two spotted pythons, sagara who is 4 turning 5 this year and Teyha who is 16 months. Whenever I handle the smaller one teyha she always pees or poo's on me. Could anyone tell me why she does this or give me an advice on how to stop her doing this? I initially thought it may be because she was a little frightened or possibly even marking me (making me smell like her - if that is even possible).

An advice would be great or if anyone knows of any books or sites I could go to, I would be extremely greatful.

Does it give any other signs that it is frightened? Usually they poo when you remove them from their enclosure because the extra movement stimulates them to go. People often use this to "train" their snakes to poo on the grass.

Ok.. Thanks She can be a tad skittish when I first get her out, however calms down when I am holding her. It makes sense that she may just be stimulated, as she only does it as soon as I start to handle her. Is there any way to stop it or should I just be prepared to clean up after her all the time.

You could try pulling her out and putting her onto the grass or some newspaper as quick as possible. Otherwise she's just gonna go when she wants to go and you can't do much more

You can try gently squeezing it as it runs through your hands. This will stimulate the anoose to release the dung on the grass. That how i toilet trained all mine.

Thanks guys, I will hope that she grows out of it. However will try to ensure that I have some newspaper or something to put underneath her when I first get her out.

my skittish young Bredli did the same thing for a few weeks when first hooking her out of her enclosure as she is very cage protective if you try and put your hand in.
As soon as she was out, she would be quite flighty and just let it go all over the place, which my wife was not too pleased with....
From then on, I took her enclosure outside first and then hooked her out.
As she quietened down with being removed from her house every few days and settled, she stopped very quickly.
I still use a hook to remove her from her enclosure first, let her settle for a minute and then handle her & she's fine.
no more 'scenting' all over the place.... happy days!
I found with her, that being consistent with handling at regular intervals (eg every two days but I left her for three days after each feed) she responded perfectly and the 'letting go' stopped.
She's now an excellent handler at about 10 months.
Hope yours settles quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back