Best time to handle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaino

Reaction score
Hey peoples this might be a dumb question.
Is there a best time of day to handle MD's or can it ben done mostly any time.

Only reason is i am kinda scared ****less about being bitten by mine . it love handling her when someone else is the guinea pig, but i get weird when i try to get her out.

Also is there any sort i postion they get in when thye dont want to be handled. IE: pre warming so i no not to touch

shes about 2years old heres a pic for size so i can get some feed back about the type of bite i could expect.

Sorry i now it sounds wussy :)

Attachments

• Zoe.jpg
    Zoe.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 97
to tell you the truth, if u get bitten by this one you will be fine, it wont hurt. but if u really dont want to get bitten, then make sure that when you handle it, its not trying to grab onto something e.g a rock or branch, make sure that u dont startle it when u go to handle it, let it know your there and if it shows signs of stress leave it.

hope it helps

You can handle them at anytime, and if it's been fine while others has handled it, then it should be fine when you do as well. Don't worry, MDs are notorious for being very placid.

As for the warning, most snakes will go into an "S" position. Here's a photo for you. The photo was taken by Shannon Plummer (not me). Some snakes have a most relaxed "S" position then in the photo, and some have a more tensed position. It's pretty easy to recognise either way.

View attachment 66282

Last edited:
Thanks. For the info people. As mentioned before how do I make her aware that I'm there when I open her tank so I know if she's asleep and what not

Anytime is fine. I hadle all mine before i feed them.
I make sure my hands are washed though and don't smell like food

hey kaino,
i too recently went through your situation and decided to just bite the bullet and reach in (previously id used a hook to get him out).By doing this i realised he was just bluffing me with his "S" position and fake strike attempts,but honestly put your hand in cop a bite and then you know it doesnt hurt and the fear will go away.Its far easier to get bitten now while he/she is small than when he/she reaches 6 or 8 foot and wants to bite.One last thing is mine started i believe to get used to being handled during the day as id sit outside with him and enjoy the sun every couple of days and when i tried to get him out at night time he again would try to bluff me however only a week later he is happy or willing atleast to come out for a look around regardless of the time of day.

ps you could also try wearing leather gardening gloves while getting used to picking him up out of the tank until your confidence grows

Last edited:
yeah I think I will tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Also the stress signs that were mentioned before what should I look for?

When I was learning to get my snakes out I used to wear a pair of soft leather gloves. The snakes, not being bitey types, of course never struck but it gave me confidence to stick my hands in their enclosures. Of course, you don't want to upset your snakes, but MD are normally pretty unflappable anyway. :)

"notechistigerYou can handle them at anytime, and if it's been fine while others has handled it, then it should be fine when you do as well. Don't worry, MDs are notorious for being very placid.

As for the warning, most snakes will go into an "S" position. Here's a photo for you. The photo was taken by Shannon Plummer (not me). Some snakes have a most relaxed "S" position then in the photo, and some have a more tensed position. It's pretty easy to recognise either way."

signs of stress varies from snake to snake, for some snakes, the 'S' position could be to get a better veiw of what is happening, but i know from personal experience that the 'S' shape is also a position they may use to get into striking, the S gets them up and i had the same veiw as u, until i stuck my hand into a coastals enclosure, as soon as i put mu hands near it, i got bitten.

thats only one encounter i have had but every snake is different!!!!!

i agree that the S-position is getting ready to strike n get bitten...! n means leave me alone..!
my 18mth old coastal is sooooooo pyscho that sometimes he'l b in double, triple S position, n strike 2-3times at the glass, when i simply did was just pass by...
So one day, when hes in that position, i just sit down n stare at him, n of cos struck 3-4 times, S position...n i just sit there n stare...he got tired i think n went in his hide....!

After a couple of days of 'staring' routine, he has actually calmed down...not as 'strikey' ..still in that S position but just to show off... din bite anymore...! :)

use a hook to get her out, if shes in a btiing mood she will strike at the hook instead of fingers,

"After a couple of days of 'staring' routine, he has actually calmed down...not as 'strikey' ..still in that S position but just to show off... din bite anymore...! :) "A

nice :D

With handling at certain times, it's really what you're snake prefers. Once I got to know their habits, I know not to get my male out before midday or he's in such a grump. When as my female would love to be out around my arm all the time (if I let her ;) )

I find my 14 month old Coastal to be the same, USUALLY just a bluff but the first day I got him he snapped at my eyelid without any warning... Having been bitten twice the first day, it is more the startle of the swiftness of his strike than the bite itself that worries me (it doesn't hurt a bit, even 2mm from my eyeball!), but you need to really be relaxed or he/she won't relax...

I find mine prefers to be out very late at night, which suits me as I'm a total night-owl. During the day, he is a nasty little sucker... Just try diff times, get used to it's reactions and find a time which seems to be least stressful for it.

ALSO, I stare him down and just laugh at him and talk to him when he "s" positions me (from a safe strike-distance) and he tends to calm down after a minute or two, after a few "bluff" strikes, he settles and I have had him curled up on my neck/hair for hours before I had to literally peel him away so I could go to bed!

Hope this helps...

(Yes I realise this thread is extremely old, but this is more for the benefit of anyone else who googles or looks it up, as I know I had the same questions at first too before I spoke to a good friend with snakes and got the hang of my boy's responses...)

Last edited:
To be honest I had a couple of beers before handling him the first couple of times.. Not enough to endanger him, but just enough to make me more confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back