So my snake eat's socks!?!?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkae1986

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Well I just had an experiance and a half. I have only had my snakes for a month and a half and boy did my 7ft BHP girl Fiona put on a display tonight. I got home from work and let me BHP's out as usuall for a prowl around the house. All goes well they have a look around hide behind the lounge ect.

Than Fiona comes along to my work shoes with my work socks still in them(missus rages about this and from now on i'll listen :shock:). She pops her head up into them I have a look at her and she opens her mouth and goes snap....... ***!?

So now she has it in her mouth and I try to pull it out but obviously with it being a cotton sock it is caught on her teeth. So for the next hour and a half I am running around the house trying these methods to get her to let go. Water over face, vinegar over face, diluted rubbing alcohol - this just seems to piss her off more and she bolts around with the sock in her mouth. I go out and freshly knock a rat for her in panic because by now the sock is half gone and I try lightly pulling the sock to have her get a bit peeved thinking its the rat let go of the sock and strike the rat.

But now - she wants to eat this bloody sock. Next step I try and grab the sock and pry her mouth out but that doesnt work because of all the movement she has. She is like a staffy wtih its favourite chew toy - she wont bloody let it go and just pulls back.

So than I hit the last resort as the sock has virtually just one more digestive pull until it is all gone and wake the sick wife up to help me. I get her to grab the sock will I pin Fiona down behind the head and pry her mouth open with a pair of tongs while trying to stop her constricting my arm and the wife pulls. First pull a quater of the sock comes out. Second pull the rest of the sock comes out. Thank god.

Now I believe I did see a bit of blood around her mouth while this happed but there is nothing on the sock or missing teeth one the sock from what I can tell. With it being a black sock that is one good thing. I have also dropped the fresh rat in and she is trying to knock it down as we speak so ++ again.

Now what possible complications could I expect from this incident and what should I look for? I mean I was scared ****less that she was going to eat the whole damn sock and ofcourse she wouldnt of been able to pass that and die. Also the sock is all in one piece.

And does anyone know of a good herp vet in Sydney?

Cheers
DK

thats insane mate.

yeah theres a few good ones at a vet in st lenards. other wise call one in penrith the guy who takes car of all the reptiles at the zoo is also a vet and does 2-3 days a week there.

I reckon you should just throw out the sock when it passes through, unless your feet are really stinky it wont be worth using again. BHPs are often misguided feeders they are evolved to kill repitles but everyone teaches them to eat mammals or they die in captivity.

lol, that almost beats gthe hatchy that swallowed a thermometer!!

thank god you got it off her tho,..

i see David Vella, hes in crows nest, 94364884

''vinegar over face, diluted rubbing alcohol - this just seems to piss her off more and she bolts around with the sock in her mouth''.

Really mate? Please note this is not good to just throw over the snakes face. If i can give you a ''friendly'' tip for next time (hopefully there is no next time) just get some of that vinegar on you finger and rub a small/good ammount in the corner of the mouth of the animal you will find they will let go straight away.

Last edited:
I dont believe seeing a vet over this matter is neccesary, possibly if she swallowed it I would be more inclined to seek the help of a vet but after the regurgitation I dont see it neccesarry, monitor her and see how she goes, if she gets the rat down fine, keep a close eye on her over the next several days and see how easily she passes the rat. If you notice complications then give the vet a call.

This Is what I would do and is not what I am saying you have to do and there are other options that might best suite your situation. . .

Cheers

Ben

Well she knocked down the rat just fine which is great and she seems fine this morning. Cheers for the number and I will keep an eye on her.
Wonder how long she will be pissed off at me as she didnt want to let that thing go.

''vinegar over face, diluted rubbing alcohol - this just seems to piss her off more and she bolts around with the sock in her mouth''.

Really mate? Please note this is not good to just throw over the snakes face. If i can give you a ''friendly'' tip for next time (hopefully there is no next time) just get some of that vinegar on you finger and rub a small/good ammount in the corner of the mouth of the animal you will find they will let go straight away.

Alright will do - just the way I heard was to spray a little on them or water over thier head ect. I was in a bit of a panic mode aswell. When they didnt work I did spray water over her to "get it off".
I was wonder what I would do if she bites me and come to the same situation where she just wont let go. But she probarbly did let go just with sock was probarbly just caught on her teeth.

I was wonder what I would do if she bites me and come to the same situation where she just wont let go. But she probarbly did let go just with sock was probarbly just caught on her teeth.
Yeah also he wouldn't be able to eat you like he could a sock so he'd let go when he eventually realised that.

Give David Vella a call. He has had experience with snakes eating cloth fabrics. One of the snakes I have has had surgery to remove something and you cant even see the scar.

That's just freaking hysterical....sorry I know you were in a panic but gee...a riot to read.

She obviously likes the way your feet smell.
If I were you I wouldn't be getting around the house bare foot if she's out of her enclosure.
She might latch onto your pinkie toe.

Scrub those feet and wash those socks!! If they smell like snake food that can't be a healthy sign :lol:

A hard days work will do that to your feet ;b
She does seem quite scent intensive. I've had a couple times where she has been out and rubbed against my leg. Than I feel her mouth start to open to have a nibble. Always after I have been playing with the dog or working.

She just loves to eat it seems. Also she is looking quiet fine and I am about to finish off her feed that she started last night.

Hahahaha socks, bhps are so weird.
Mine tried to eat a pillow when he was just a hatchling.

I knew he wouldn't be able to so I just let him go as far as he could the he spent twice as long getting off the pillow was a total riot. :)

wait, what!
A) a snake leaving leftovers.
B) now your going to eat them????
:p

That's a very strange experience to have! I was holding a juvenile BHP one day, and he liked my shirt. He kept smelling it, then he'd open his mouth over it but didn't bite down :lol: they can be very strange snakes, but I'd love to have one.

So eating a sock is actually harmful? are petrochemicals harmful to snakes? I thought a sock would be regurgitated or just pass through without any harm. Has anyone had trouble from snakes eating socks before?

Geckoman-
Haha that makes it sound as if Im going to feed her the sock again. I just gave her the other 2 rats from her usual 3 rat feed. She took them down no worries and seems quiet fine. I havent tried to take her out of her enclosure yet though =P

I thought for sure that her eatingt a sock would cause big implications. Same as impaction?!

Either way I wasnt going to risk it.

So eating a sock is actually harmful? are petrochemicals harmful to snakes? I thought a sock would be regurgitated or just pass through without any harm. Has anyone had trouble from snakes eating socks before?

Would go part way to explaining what happens to all those missing socks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back