Why keep reptiles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
because i love all animals, i have been facinated with snakes for years and now my kids are showing an interest in animals i can help encourage that passion, ALL animals, not just the cuddly furry kind! and as a bonus as others have said, they are less maintenance than dogs and cats.

One of my friends at the dog training club asked this. I pointed out that my snakes could be left without food for the winter and only eat fortnightly in summer (adults). They only poo after eating, they don't make noise (except when falling off branches at night), babies can be kept in small plastic tubs on a shelf, they don't have to be walked and the babies are worth more than her purebred pups! I breed albino Darwins and she breeds German shepherds. Her vet bills are a whole lot higher than mine!

The fascinate and entertain me. It is an honour to take care of these reptiles

i keep reptiles, because they are reptiles i want to keep anything reptile, because i am fascinated, amazed and exited by them
i come from a family of cat and dog lovers and, personally i dont really like them, for a number of reasons

i would have just asked straight back, why keep cats and/or dogs.....i know my sisters would say "because I (in that iiiiiiieee, that whingy, whiny voice all little kids seem to have) like them, they are cute and cuddly and friendly", and they would and could go on for hours
basically whenever i am asked that question i ask straight back, why do you keep_______<- insert animal that person keeps, and i guarantee they will say "coz i like them" and i reply, "well i like reptiles" it works every time

Last edited:
All of the above but most of all because they are not annoying like most other pets. I have had pretty much everything from cats dogs, fish birds,mice,horses etc And overall snakes top them all. They are easy to look after and can be largely ignored. At the moment one of my dogs is whinging all night because she is too old , fat and lazy to get up the stairs and wants me to go out there and help her. This is why i prefer snakes

the question that annoys me is "well cats and dogs love their owners, do your snakes and lizards love you?" (i also dont personally believe that cats are capable) to which i reply "nope, so i dont have to worry about their feelings"

One of my friends at the dog training club asked this. I pointed out that my snakes could be left without food for the winter and only eat fortnightly in summer (adults). They only poo after eating, they don't make noise (except when falling off branches at night), babies can be kept in small plastic tubs on a shelf, they don't have to be walked and the babies are worth more than her purebred pups! I breed albino Darwins and she breeds German shepherds. Her vet bills are a whole lot higher than mine!

Bit off topic but if you feed dogs on a mix of fresh mince, veges, oats, flax, garlic etc they only poo after eating as well and there poo doesn't smell half as bad as when they are fed on dog food. And it is way cheaper, I have a huge Bull Mastiff x Bull Arab pup and 2 Jack Russell x's and a cat and it costs me about $10-$15 to feed the whole lot of them a week.

its a facination.. i have always loved reptiles, and as a child kept blue tounges. my snakes are so interesting.. i love sitting and watching them move around in their enclosures. they all have different traits and likes and dislikes..its become an addiction now..

the question that annoys me is "well cats and dogs love their owners, do your snakes and lizards love you?" (i also dont personally believe that cats are capable) to which i reply "nope, so i dont have to worry about their feelings"
lol thats a good one! Alot of good answers here and I agree it's an addiction/obsession/fetish thing. I love my reptiles! :D
As such I am now armed with knowledge and reasons to argue about why Reptiles are (in most ways) surperiour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back