Please HELP!! Whats wrong with my snakes tail??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazrat

Reaction score
Please help my snake has almost what looks like blisters on his tail there full of fluid under his scales and have started weeping.

Does anyone konw what this is and what i can do for him??

He shed 1-2 weeks ago with a full healthy shed.

Being a public holiday there are no reptile specailist vets on duty (ive called everywhere), does anyone know somewhere good i can take him in Adelaide??

Thanks,

Nazrat

Attachments

• SDC10997.jpg
    SDC10997.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 372
  • SDC10998.jpg
    SDC10998.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 309
  • SDC10999.jpg
    SDC10999.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 287
could be a burn or scale rot, hard to say what the blisters are. make sure its enclosure is dry and clean. if lights dont have cages around them, then get some. blisters can be treated with bedadine (not sure of spelling) mixed 1/1 with water and dabbed on the blisters. butchers paper is best to use as a enclosure substrate, changing dailly.

It's retained shed and it needs to come off.Put him in a tub with a few MM's of water around 30C for a while.

I have a heat mat and caged heat lamp for him at one end of his cage and water and a hanging trapease at the other end so that he can regulate his own temperature.

Has any one heard of blister disease?? Could this be what it is?? His cage is cleaned regulary and the only humidity is produced from his water bowl evaporation. He is a very relaxed snake and seems to be very healthy other than the development of these blisters.

I just found this Hope it helps :( it could also be scale rot

Blister Disease in Boas and Pythons

Boas and pythons will commonly develop blister disease, or vesicular dermatitis, if they are kept in too high humidity for their species, or if the cage substrate remains too damp.

In most cases, the initial vesicles are fluid-filled and do not contain any bacteria, however, in time, if the conditions are not corrected, any bacterial organisms found in or on the snake or its environment may contaminate the vesicles. Eventually, if left untreated, the bacteria can spread through the bloodstream, causing septicemia. In large herps, this process may take weeks or months, but with small lizards or snakes, death can occur in a matter of days. Mites can also spread bacteria to the vesicles.

Sometimes, the bacteria may form abscesses at the site of the blisters, and with the next shed, ulcers will occur once the purulent abscess material is gone.

Any snake with suspected blister disease should be immediately placed in a dry environment, with dry substrate and good ventilation, and correct ambient temperature and humidity. Since appropriate antibiotic therapy is critical to correct treatment, it is important that the snake be seen by a herp veterinarian ASAP for diagnosis, which may include a bacterial culture and sensitivity, biopsy or cytology, in order to choose the correct antibiotic for administration. A snake that is still eating and is active has a good chance of successful recovery. Please don't try to medicate a sick snake without the expertise of a qualified herp vet, as over-the-counter medications may not work and can cause a potentially life-threatening delay in seeking professional help.

Thanks for all your help ill get him booked in to a Vet first thing Wednesday. :) Hope my little guy is ok until then.

Hey depending where you are, you should check out the guys at the Gully Reptile Centa in Modbury, they're very helpful and will give you advice, they're open from 10-6 weekdays. Definitely go to the vet if they can't help you, but it can't hurt to ask :)

It's retained shed and it needs to come off.Put him in a tub with a few MM's of water around 30C for a while.

Please re-read this, and do as Ramsayi says....

It needs help to remove it. Letting it slide through a damp towel may also help.

Last edited:
As Ramsayi says!!!!! check your snake thoroughly after each shed.....

I was thinking retained shed but in the op it does state it shed with a healthy full shed 1-2 weeks ago.

Do what Ramsayi has said to do,pop him in a nice bath and use a wet towel for him to slide through.paper towel or newspaper for his house for a while.please for the sake of your snake do as Ramsayi says to do.

I would have thought that if the lil fella had a 'full healthy shed' 1-2 weeks ago, then there would be no way that there would be excess shed on the guy.. and why would there be liquid under the 'excess shed' too much humidity perhaps, if this is the case. Personally I would be getting him to the vet asap. Hope he comes good Nazrat, let us know what the outcome is also as it looks rather.. unpleasant.

I'm definitely no expert, but it looks a lot like the water blisters Waterrat had on one of his GTP's.

i was thinking the same thing and Michael said it was from all the rain and with his GTP's being in outdoor enclosures they had got too much moisture...however it was all over his snakes not just on the tail

Also Nazrat.....what end of the enclosure do you have your water bowl....it should be far away from any heat source or you can create too much humidity.....

With all due respect, it is quite possible that an inexperienced owner may not fully comprehend what a 'full and healthy shed' is...

As you can see, you will get every opinion under the sun, not much help for a troubled animal. Best bet is get to the vet. Preferably one with reptile experience. I've not heard of a retained shed "weeping fluid" so I'd be inclined to disagree with that assessment. I'm not a vet though so get some professional assistance. Keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back