my new 6 foot male jungle was all pleasant until this morning, but WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peckzz

Reaction score
hi i just bought a 6 foot jungle python, he is about 3 1/2 years in age, when i first got him home which was about 4 days ago he was really flighty and trying to get away from me when being held, since then i have been handling him and getting him out of his cage and he has been getting alot better, like before he use to slither away quickly when i wen to pick him up, he has stopped all of this and is quiet easy, now heres to the problem, since he has been gettin use to me handlin him he tries to come up my arm and behind my head, after day 2 i gave in and let him go, as its hard to stop a 6 foot python from moving towards you without upsetting it, so as i said i let him go and he has been fine not biting or anything just sniffing and been a bit curious of everything, well today i got him out the same as normal, washed hands, tea towel with my scent to detur him away from the snake hook, he procedeed to slither up my arm and near my neck and then just lashed at my face and scrapped my lip, i instantly put him back in his cage, then tried feeding half hour later to see if that was the case but he snapped at the rat then spat it out. now please any idea why he snapped or if it will happen again and what i can do to try and stop this thanks

forget about him for two weeks let him settle in hes prob nervous as all hell in his new surroundings.

Need to let him settle In, as u said its only been 4 days. When you move into a new house its all different and a bit sureal and imagine what its like for a snake, just let him chill out.

haha thats the funny thing, he didnt evan get a taste, atleast i dont think haha, there was no blood from my lip, but yea just weird all of a sudden, i will definatly just leave him be for a couple weeks and see how we go from there, thanks again guys

as ive got a young jungle that ive had since a baby and she has never ever striked at me once, as well ive never really handled a big 6 foot snake so maybe it can sense my intimidation as well? all in all thanks guys and will keep posting in this topic in 2 weeks time and let you know

edit* any ideas on how to keep him away from my face? when ever i hold him he allways tries to come either straight at my face with a straight neck or up my arm and doesnt really take no for an answer unless he is near my vacuum cleaner which always takes his attention lol

It's a instinctual habit any arboreal snake has, go for the highest point.

yea i dont mind my girl on my head, but ive had her along time haha compared to not evan a week haha and he is very intimidating, well to me lol. heres a couple of pics mate, no bite marks he didnt get me, but tried

209870_10150250690251001_520541000_8938732_8381053_o.jpg

209070_10150250689281001_520541000_8938710_5615207_o.jpg

edit* after some research i also noticed that the underbelly is turning pink, which means a shed is coming on

Last edited:
Any snake can have a go
The secret is to get the snake to trust you
After that they are great
R&R for a while after moving is a great idea
Being gentle and persevering are they key

Ive got a totally savage retic here about 4metres long
After nearly four weeks of being left in a fairly high traffic area and being fed one big meal it is no longer so bad
I can actually pick it up now without getting smashed all the time
In another few weeks it will be a regular part of the display I hope

yea i dont mind my girl on my head, but ive had her along time haha compared to not evan a week haha and he is very intimidating, well to me lol. heres a couple of pics mate, no bite marks he didnt get me, but tried

209870_10150250690251001_520541000_8938732_8381053_o.jpg

209070_10150250689281001_520541000_8938710_5615207_o.jpg

edit* after some research i also noticed that the underbelly is turning pink, which means a shed is coming on

Beautiful snake......i lovvve jungles......i am looking at mine and hoping as they mature they get the beautiful head your girl has....tell me how old is she

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back