Obsession with keeping exotics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jungle_Fever1

Reaction score
Its always a case of "U WANT IT CAUSE U CANT HAVE IT" Even in America they drool over our range of herps, they have a lace monitor which cost them $4000 hahah.

i think we should make do with what we got :)

On the morph side of things, i think keep it Australian breeds

Sometimes it fun to imagine x breeding lots of different reps,from all over the world.and we sometimes forget what is 'common'here is lusted after by our international rep collecting cousins.and yes by our very natue we always want what we can't have.

We don't need more crap clogging up out already fragile eco system. A gravid Burmese getting out would be disastrous for the local wildlife, and guaranteed some moron would let one loose (either on purpose or accidentally.) If people want to breed mongrels, then by all means, move to the US, but Australian natives shouldn't have to compete with imports as well as us.

Just a question (dont flame me)

What do you have to do to LEGALLY own a burmese etc in Aus ??

In Qld you must either own a Zoo or have an Exhibitors licence for any exotic reptile
Both cost a motza because of the infrastructure requirements
After that there is the purchase and the importation rules are a nightmare
Allow yourself about $150,000 not including land value and you can have one

I am pretty sure the same applies in NT, NSW and WA too
Not sure about Vic and SA but probably very similar

Tasmania only permits burmese convicted of eating pet cats, dogs, or kids to be sent there
They get housed at Port Arthur

We're not allowed exotic invertebrates or reptiles, so why are we allowed to keep exotic fish and birds? Surely a macaw on the loose would be catastrophic.

We're not allowed exotic invertebrates or reptiles, so why are we allowed to keep exotic fish and birds? Surely a macaw on the loose would be catastrophic.

yeah whats with that ????
birds are big problems :/
starlings etc

I agree, we have got some of the coolest animals in the entire world.
I feel sorry for the people in Ireland and New zealand where there arent any snakes
imagine how bad it must be for the people there..

Although to be 100% truthful, I wouldnt mind a Burm...
But we have Olives and hopefully soon Oenpelli's so oh well :)

It was a rule brought in years ago and has actually been of benefit to our wildlife
1,,,If importation was allowed it may create a precedent for exportation
2,,,, Lots of imports have created huge problems taking rabbits foxes and toads as quick examples
just fill the rest in as you like

In Qld you must either own a Zoo or have an Exhibitors licence for any exotic reptile
Both cost a motza because of the infrastructure requirements
After that there is the purchase and the importation rules are a nightmare
Allow yourself about $150,000 not including land value and you can have one

I am pretty sure the same applies in NT, NSW and WA too
Not sure about Vic and SA but probably very similar

Tasmania only permits burmese convicted of eating pet cats, dogs, or kids to be sent there
They get housed at Port Arthur

I know someone that LEGALLY owns a albino Burmese,and he doesnt have a zoo.He is just a ordinary person who loves his reptiles.Hes not connected to any wildlife park either.So i gather he got away with it cheap.He lives in Australia also..

Last edited:
I agree, we have got some of the coolest animals in the entire world.
I feel sorry for the people in Ireland and New zealand where there arent any snakes
imagine how bad it must be for the people there..

Although to be 100% truthful, I wouldnt mind a Burm...
But we have Olives and hopefully soon Oenpelli's so oh well :)

I just love the look of the burmese , an olives is nothing like a burmese much more slender etc..and Longqi $150,000 easy I havent worked damn hard for the last 4 years to not be able to do what I want. But does an exhibitors license then mean you have to exhibit ???

I know someone that LEGALLY owns a albino Burmese,and he doesnt have a zoo.He is just a ordinary person who loves his reptiles.Hes not connected to any wildlife park either.So i gather he got away with it cheap.He lives in Australia also..

I just PM'ed you :)

A very valid point to make, look at all the exotic birds and fish that are available to be purchased in Australia without any permit requirements whatsoever. Exotic reptiles are illegally available here on the black market now, and it is unknown how many and where (species etc) as it is not regulated and controlled. So some sort of permit system could be of benefit.

It is true. I for one want all the Australian herps lol. I want some Albino Carpets but they are like $8k. I want some Shinglebacks but they are like $4k. Albino burms are cool and all. I might get one one day if I ever get enough room for one lol. I don't know the prices over there but I wish people over here didn't price stuff so high. I like 100,000 for new ball python morphs or 35,000 for new retic morphs and so on.

Geez, 4k shingles!! I am looking at my pair right now, which cost me a total of $75. I have also seen them in the wild numerous times in good numbers, which is not a unique thing where I went.

Last edited:
I'd much prefer a quality Rockhampton Down's woma over ANY exotic out there in existence, and that includes corn snakes (which for me come a distant 2nd after the womas).
I don't understand why people here lust after exotics when there is an abundance of such beautiful native species.

To focus on exotics is IMHO a fool's errand. Complete waste of time.

i must say id love a berm
but im quite happy with my olive atm
we have the best snakes in the world and i for one feel lucky that i have the ability to keep some of them

I think the old saying "the grass is always green on the other side" comes into play here. It's human nature to feel that what we can't have is somehow better than what we have already. That is why the word "exotic" has positive connotations instead of negative.

I think the old saying "the grass is always green on the other side" comes into play here. It's human nature to feel that what we can't have is somehow better than what we have already. That is why the word "exotic" has positive connotations instead of negative.
I don't entirely agree. For some that may be the case but for the same reasons I have the animals I have now, I'd really like a red-tailed boa. It isn't because I can't have one I just think they are beautiful

I don't entirely agree. For some that may be the case but for the same reasons I have the animals I have now, I'd really like a red-tailed boa. It isn't because I can't have one I just think they are beautiful
I guess it's also human nature to want pretty things! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back