sexing a diamond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi there, i tried breeding a pair of diamonds last year, but had no results which I thought was possibly due to the male being too young (2 1/2yrs but not power fed and still just on 5ft).
also I didnt seperate them very long, as they live in the same large enclosure.
Since then I have confirmed the sex of the male by probing (12scales), but have probed the older female??, to 6 and 7 scales. I had a herp vet check her a couple of years ago, and he said more than likely a female due to her bigger build.
is there any other way to confirm her gender?
as i am keen on breeding them this time around
cheers kenny

Yes, there are other ways to tell the gender of Diamonds apart from probing, which is not recommended for Diamonds.
They can be readily sexed by examining their tail profile and the claws on their spurs. Also look for hemipenal bulges and casts on sloughs.

Last edited:
Females can go to about 9, males can be from 9-15. So there can be that overlap.
Diamonds are one of the hardest to probe. I would say 6-7 would def be female.

yeah i am pretty confident its a she, just by looking at the difference in body size and the spurs are tiny compared to the male I have.
And my male jungle chases her around every time they're out 2gether!

i pop there hemipenes(or lack there of)which works on some snakes,and a diamond i sexed this morning it was very evident,although obviously varies from snake to snake as in your case a deep female.
I reckon all you can do now is see if they mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back