what have you told telemarketers?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't say anything. I hang up as soon as there is a pause when I answer the phone!

I try and be polite and tell them im not interested but for those that dont take the hint i hang up on them. It has also stopped me from answering private calls.

I had one company ring quite a number of times, trying to get me to change mobile phone company, they told me my friend was with this new company, and I told them I wasn't interested when they rang again telling me another friend was with them,( my friend wasn't cause I asked her) I told them if they ring again I will take them to court. They picked friends I had recently rang, that really ticked me off, they didn't ring back when they realise I knew they had lied about my friend.

I try selling the indian ones tickets to mumbai. Look out for the ones that claim to be from "The computer company" I tell them that my computer has no virus and I am not going to fall for your retarded Bullsh**. Anyone else well they suffer my wrath!

i understand that people work in call centers but i'm talking telemarketers that ring from interstate or overseas on a reverse charge.

one lady rang wanting to talk to mum but because she's not home she was going to ring back and i told her she was overseas.

a guy calling from India was trying to sell me computer repairs so i told him i was Amish

and another Indian fellow was preaching Hinduism to me so i started at genesis

they cant call reverse charges if you dont accept the call. an operater will ask if you will accept the call before connecting the the call

I tell them that I'm busy but will call them back when I've got time. I ask for their home number and tell them I'll call them at home. Strange, they always seem to decline the kind offer.

i try to speak in another language (even though i only speak english) or i tell them i live in a different country.

I sound really really young on the phone so they usually ask if my mummy or daddy are home and when I say no they left me alone today they usually freak out and hang up.

Indians keep calling to sell me Windows Technical support!
I've recieved about 6 or 7 call from them over the past few months.
At first I'd tell them, I dont have a computer, or I use mac not windows but they persisted. Then I started swearing at them, lol. They would hang up on me but a few days later I'd get the same call from a different consultant.
Decided I needed a new strategy. I politely informed them that I was on the Do not call register and to please not contact me.

That didn't work either because they still called back, I just hung up on em. Next time they call I'll try crying on the phone while asking them "Why are you doing this to me?"

In the meantime, if any anarchists out there know how to send a bullet or explosion through the telephone line, please PM me...

I was at a mates place the other day and she got a call from a telemarketer... she answered and said hello, he said whatever he said, then next think I know she lets out a big long yell "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" then hangs up
haha

I just breathe really heavily into the phone and say "What are you wearing?"

They don't call back.

Glad I came across this thread. Have some new ideas....
And the please people, join the Do Not Call Register
https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

Since joining them it eradicated my telemarketing calls until i got these recent ones. Can't imagine how bad it would be if I never did this in the first place...

Dan40d, u beat me to it, haha
Just be warned it does expire and you do have to renew it.
Also, it takes a while to take effect so you may get calls in the following weeks, just be patient

I've an answering machine, and telemarketers hate them.

The thing is to be very disciplined about NEVER answering the phone UNLESS :
- it's someone you recognise AND WANT TO TALK TO THEM
- or you are expecting an important call from someone you don't know (ie something to do with job hunting, a quote).

If they don't leave a message, IT WASN'T IMPORTANT.
IF they don't leave a message, it cost you nothing and they have been cost a phone call ...ha ha

I don't get bothered by telemarketers because of the answering machine.

I've a silent unlisted number too, but so has my mum and she get telemarkers pestering her all the time, I guess they just have a list of phone numbers that they work through.

Usually you can tell if they're calling from overseas as there is a delay - if that happens I just hang up before they get a chance to say anything. Otherwise I just let my son answer the phone and they usually hang up rather than speak to a little kid, plus it gives him practice at answering the phone :)

We have a silent number but we still get telemarketers calling despite the "advanced' protection of the do not call register. If I am in one of my "delightful" playful moods I will either giggle on the phone like a schoolgirl, or quietly moan as if I am getting off on the call. The record is 11 minutes of moaning and 7 for the giggling before they hang up. Makes my day really, yes I am different.

Having an unlisted phone number means nothing. They do'n get your number from the phone books. They purchase the lists from companies. Everytime you fill in an application or sign a form, most of the time you are giving permission for your information to be passed on which, unfortunately ends up in the telemarketers hands.

Register for Do Not Call, its the only way to weed them all out. And don't let it lapse like I did

We have a silent number but we still get telemarketers calling despite the "advanced' protection of the do not call register. If I am in one of my "delightful" playful moods I will either giggle on the phone like a schoolgirl, or quietly moan as if I am getting off on the call. The record is 11 minutes of moaning and 7 for the giggling before they hang up. Makes my day really, yes I am different.

How long ago did you register. If you're like me, its probably expired and you need to renew it. I was call free for years until recently, it just occured to me that the DNC has to be renewed (I know all this as I worked in a call centre for 3 yrs and did telemarketing for Telstra for one of those years) If people werent happy about getting calls from telemarketers, I'd tell em about the DNC register. Although, being as they were current clients of Telstra, we were excluded, haha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back