electricity from a heat matt

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it the other way around...?

Picture it in your head like when you rub your hands together to warm them up- the harder you press them together while still rubbing them, more resistance, more heat c: but instead of palms of your hands its the friction of the electrons trying to get through the conductor

ok so how many watts would you all suggest for a hatchy to yearling antaseria sorry if spelling is wrong.

Picture it in your head like when you rub your hands together to warm them up- the harder you press them together while still rubbing them, more resistance, more heat c: but instead of palms of your hands its the friction of the electrons trying to get through the conductor

Yeah except not. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd send you some links. Because our power is supplied at a constant voltage you need less resistance to get more current to get more power.

ok so how many watts would you all suggest for a hatchy to yearling antaseria sorry if spelling is wrong.

Depends on the size of the click clack and how cold it is where you live. There's no one size fits all rule

In my experience, you MUST run heat mats on thermostats, even the 5W and 7W ones. I've seen half a dozen of these small mats which have overheated and caught fire, or badly scorched the surface on which they sit, or cracked glass which was sitting on them. In my opinion, heat mats are very dangerous if used incorrectly.

I never recommend them to anyone.

Jamie

In my experience, you MUST run heat mats on thermostats, even the 5W and 7W ones. I've seen half a dozen of these small mats which have overheated and caught fire, or badly scorched the surface on which they sit, or cracked glass which was sitting on them. In my opinion, heat mats are very dangerous if used incorrectly.

I never recommend them to anyone.

Jamie

Hey Jamie, out of curiosity were those that caught fire on a thermostat? and what brand were the ones that caught fire as I have heard of a few older style reptapet ones had but they now have thermostats built in

ANY heating device can get hot enough to start fires and/or kill your animal. ANY heating device, whether it's a lightbulb or halogen, or a heat mat or cable. They are all as dangerous as each other, but there are some brands/models that have less quality control and therefore should be avoided. I'm not even going to bother getting into a whistling contest regarding the serious dangers of these devices...they are dangerous because they convert electrical energy into heat energy and the heat they can produce is potentially enormous. It's as simple as that.

ALL heating devices MUST be controlled by thermostats, and a thermostat that turns off the devices it controls in the event of a thermostat failure. A thermostat that doesn't do this is not adequate for the task and therefore should never be used to keep reptiles or any animals for that matter. This isn't a freezer or a fridge or oven we're talking about, this is a heating device used to heat an enclosure housing a LIVE animal and usually situated on a bench or surface that can easily burn or catch fire if a certain temperature is reached.

It's a common sense thing, really, and should always be observed. Yes, I know it costs money for decent thermostats. No, I don't care if anyone thinks it's more economical to just forget about thermostats. It might save you money, but it may cost you your animals, your house, and maybe even your life and your family. You want to take that risk? There's no way in hell I would. No way in hell my animals, my family, my house and my life are worth less than the $100 or so it would cost for a decent quality thermostat.

That is how you must think about this issue. It's a safety issue, that is as far as I'm going to take the discussion, and as far as I'm concerned everyone should be required by law to use a thermostat with these devices - just as they are required by law to use a smoke detector.

you have proven your point lol i shall be purchasing a thermostat before i get a snake for sure as you said family is worth more than saving a buck thanks for your input also while im here what do you sll think of this heat mat my friend has one and says it works well what do you all think?
REPTILE HEAT MAT 7w 15cm x 28cm (Australian plug) NEW | eBay

well i just purchased that heat matt and my mate has a thermo he is not using anymore so hes sending to me which has saved me some cash now just play the waiting game for the items to get here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back