No telephone but ADSL2+ works ????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ianinoz

Reaction score
Our telephone has been as dead as a door-nail since Saturday, but our ADSL2+ modem which is connected to the same wall socket and same Telstra copper wires has "worked" if you can call what passes for BigPond ADSL2+ service as working (frequently drops out).

So since we don't have a mobile phone (with a SIM that has any credit on it),since we never use a mobile phone and USUALLY have no need for one, I contacted Telstra online and made a online telephone fault report on Saturday. Email response was it would be fixed by Wednesday.
Wednesday came and went and we still have a telephone that is dead as a door nail and there's been no sign of a technician (we haven't left the house and no one has come, so they can't say they came and missed us).
It's is now Thursday and the telephone is still dead. GRRRR!!!!!!!

Anyone else having a similar problem with their telstra telephones (in the Newcastle/Lake Macquarie/Charlestown area) ?

Looking like I'll have to find a pay phone and call telstra on their 132200 and 132203 numbers and put a rocket up their collective arses - not as if that's going to achieve anything. Do pay phones still exist ???

Last edited:
If the ADSL still works then your actual phone may be broken, so it would be as easy as going to a store and buying a new phone?

Have two phones in the house, neither of them are working, and the alarm system is also showing a communication error.

This is an extract from the email Telstra sent me:

Thank you for reporting your fault on 024943**** through telstra.com. This service is currently impacted by an outage and will be repaired by 15/06/2011.
It's not the phone that's broken. It's Telstra that's broken and their service is hopeless.

Last edited:
The reason why ADSL would be working is that it works on a different frequency. This is why you can use the phone while on the internet, whereas dialup used to mean that you had to either use the internet or use the phone and not both at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also ADSL Goes through a DSLAM while the phone through a different set of hardware (i know it's not PSTN but it's the Port switcher for that), two different things that meet up on the same line.

It's likely there is a port fault at the exchange.

Don't count on Telstra.

They did work on telephone lines on our street, ran over about 3 peoples driveways including ours cracking and un-leveling them all (this was in a huge truck)

apparently we all did that too our own driveways.

goodluck though!

pay your bill

I did, 2 weeks ago.

I went hunting for a payphone, wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a payphone these days, scarce as hens' teeth, and then ones that actually are in one piece or actually work are harder to find.
Finally found one that actually worked and was told by the girl who answered on 132203 that the problem is an outage at an exchange and she promised me I would have my phone back working BY 7 PM TONIGHT .... just picked up the handpiece and it's still dead so - why am I not surprized.

Told her we have life threatening medical conditions and need a working phone in the house (not exactly lying = we both suffer very high blood pressure) so I expect Telstra will courier me out an emergency mobile phone (AT THEIR EXPENSE !!!) overnight since yet another service promise has been renigged on.

Hey why should I fork out $20 - $50 to recharge my old mobile's SIM ?

So much for their guarantee of service.

Don't count on Telstra.

They did work on telephone lines on our street, ran over about 3 peoples driveways including ours cracking and un-leveling them all (this was in a huge truck)

goodluck though!

This is why I have never gone to the expense of concreting my part of the driveway that crosses the council strip. My brother had his driveway damaged exactly the same way as you did, and all at his cost.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me a while back.
Telstra eventually fixed it after numerous attempts and apparently it was a techniqual issue at their end.
Good luck with them lol

Don't count on Telstra.

goodluck though!

And if they just so happened to smash the windows on their own truck, what then?

So the emergency satellite phone showed up this morning, and a Telstra tech guy installed it, promptly killing my ADSL2+ (so another call to 132203 to complaign and I get some idiot who told me I was stupid - I could not possibly have had ADSL2 working OK when I had no dial tone , told him I did (several times) and despite my telling phone lines fork off at the exchange, one run to the analogue PSTN equipment, and one run to the DSLAMS for DSL. when the fault is at the exchange it could be with an analogue line card or something which affects the phone, but won't affect the internet and he was of no help what so ever, clearly this tech support guy didn't know as much as he was trying to make out, another know nothing computer jockey working in a call centre - probably in India, he was very hard to understand too).
ADSL2 has only just come back on after being unable to use it since 9am, now I've a very strange dial tone on my usual phone.

Wonder what will happen next ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back