My snake has mites, how do i get rid of them, is there anything i can do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stilla

Reaction score
he/she has mites i think, there little bugs i found on him that when squashed blood comes out of them.<br>
some were under his scales what can i do!?

There are a few things on the market you can use, but by far, the best is Orange Medic from you r local chemist. It used to be the most popular mite treatment going many years ago, but then they changed the formula and added Tea Tree Oil. It was then rumoured to kill reptiles. This is not true, it does no harm at all. I have used it for rescued animals, lots of them, and have never had any sign of health issues.

To use it, just mix it with water, I use 1:5 ratio, OM(Orange Medic) to water. I spray it into the tub the animal goes in and then directly on the animal. Throw out all your substrate and replace with a sheet or two of newspaper. Thouroughly clean your enclosure with OM as well and leave out the water bowl. I then spray the enclosure with the animal still inside every 3 days, for about 3 treatments. Your mites, should be gone. reclean enclosure, respray with OM and dry, replace paper and put in water bowl. All should be good after around a week or so.

You can use ToD as has been mentioned above and it does kill mites, however, it leaves no residual effect and you need to treat every 3 days as a minimum so you get all the eggs as they hatch. Once ToD has disperssed, there is nothing left to kill the mites, the only downside of ToD.

^^^^^
Kudos for dropping something new into the pot
Orange Medic contains Permethrin.... interesting stuff

Next most important thing is to know where they came from
No use treating mites and getting them again a month later

^^^^^
Kudos for dropping something new into the pot
Orange Medic contains Permethrin.... interesting stuff

Next most important thing is to know where they came from
No use treating mites and getting them again a month later

This is most likely a question which will cleary show im still a newbie... but where are common sources of mites?

Most pet shops, other peoples collections (lack of cleaning up outbreak)
would have to be the most common source of infections.

Most pet shops, other peoples collections (lack of cleaning up outbreak)
would have to be the most common source of infections.

Reptile shows are another posibility, lake of animal inspection at the entry, having animals being handled and touched by people when they shouldn't be. All can leads to mites.

Reptile shows are another posibility, lake of animal inspection at the entry, having animals being handled and touched by people when they shouldn't be. All can leads to mites.

Agreed

l personally believe "Permoxin" is far superior to Top Of Decent or any other mite treatment a 250 ml. bottle costing $20-25....put 40 mls in a 10 litre bucket of warm water, submerse your critter in the solution/water, vaccuum your enclosure out and wipe it out with a damp cloth dipped in your bucket of solution and repeat in 12 days as you should with any mite treatment to break any gestation cycle....solar 17 (Baden)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back