snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhe007

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Question? would anyone like to tell me if Every different species of snakes carry Salmonella

all reptiles have the potential to carry Salmonella, this how ever does not mean that they all DO carry it.

all reptiles have the potential to carry Salmonella, this how ever does not mean that they all DO carry it.

So would I be able to catch the bug of my snake ?

So would I be able to catch the bug of my snake ?

If your snake carries it, you could. Since you have no way of knowing without a test, it's best to assume that it does. If you practise good hygiene when handling your snake and cleaning up after it, this risk is very small.

Wash your hands properly after handling your reptile and don't put it in your mouth or on your face. This will make it very unlikely that you will contract salmonella from your reptile.

there has been cases of keepers affected from there snakes ask ramsayi

you're far more likely to get it from other people... but wash your hands after you touch your snake- look where you got it from!

as every one has already said, good hygiene is they key or you could ask your vet to test for it. some antibacterial evaporating hand wash is great to keep near by.

personally i have handled my snake and dragon and eaten with out washing more than once and had no issues but its my choice to risk it, i really only use the hand wash after cleaning up waist, and or if i have handled my dragon and then go to handle my snake or vice verse but that does not happen very often at all

I think you would have to be pretty unlucky to catch salmonella from one of your reptiles. Although they can carry it on their skin I don't think that the bacteria is in high enough numbers to make you sick, unless your immunity is already down.
I say, as with all animal handling regardless of species it is good higene and quarantine practice to wash you hands before, between and after handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back