Lilly the Blind great dane

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythrulz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hundreds have offered to take in a blind Great Dane and her guide dog after they were left at a dogs trust in July.
The pair were left for re-homing by their previous owners in England because they couldn't handle two Great Danes, the BBC reported.
Blind dog Lily suffered from a condition that forced her to have her eyeballs removed when she was a puppy. The condition caused her to grow her eyelashes into her eyeballs.
Now, the blind dog is guided around by her seeing eye companion dog Maddison, and the pair have been inseparable since.
Miss Ridgway added: "With Maddison's help Lily leads a full, active life. She runs around with Maddison and comes when she is called or whistled.
"Occasionally she bumps into things if she is in an unfamiliar place, but if she was in her own home she would soon learn where everything was.
The Shrewsbury Dogs Trust has received hundreds of calls from potential new owners after a plea to find the "big, gentle giants" a new home made the media.
The dogs' keeper, Gemma Pinchin, said: "I think the future's looking really bright for this pair... we've got someone coming to see them and so many phone calls which obviously we're so grateful for."
Prospective owners have been discouraged by Lily's appearance, or did not have the space required to take care of two dogs their size.
Trust manager Louise Campbell said: "It's very sad as members of the public walk straight by their kennel, often put off by the idea of having two large dogs and of course one without eyes can be a bit shocking.
"I'm appealing to anyone with a big heart and a big home to adopt this loveable and inseparable pair."

Attachments

• blingdog111025supplied630.jpg
    blingdog111025supplied630.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 308
Update: they have been re-homed with over 200 calls of interest!

Good to hear they've found a home, they sound deserving of one!

However, I just thought I'd comment that if she truly only had her eyelashes either rolling intowards her eye (and scratching the cornea/surface of the eye) or even if she had eyelashes growing from the wrong place, it can be corrected reasonably easily without removing the eyes... It sounds rather odd to me!

I would of taken them in. Double the enjoyment of owning this wonderful breed.
Once you have owned a dane, no other breed comes close.

I agree Kitah, sounds a bit drastic to me.

They certainly are a fantastic breed in many ways

What a beautiful pair of dogs, the one with no eyes has the expression of an angel!!! How wonderful. Glad they got a new home, I hope they'll be really happy for the rest of their lives with the lovely family who have adopted them. Good on ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back