Best Beginner Lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have suggested bearded dragons are also an interactive lizard with plenty of information available, I personally prefer the Easterns but they're not as easy to come by as central bearded dragons.

What do you like about the easterns, Souldoubt? Can they be as friendly as centrals?

What do you like about the easterns, Souldoubt? Can they be as friendly as centrals?

I like the appearance of Easterns and they get bigger than centrals. To be honest, I have only dealt with centrals owned by people I know, I would say that in my experience centrals are "friendlier" (even towards strangers) than easterns but easterns can become friendly as well, although they do tend to keep a little bit of attitude. I guess you could typically call it a non aggressive protest. I like that about that about them.

I like the appearance of Easterns and they get bigger than centrals. To be honest, I have only dealt with centrals owned by people I know, I would say that in my experience centrals are "friendlier" (even towards strangers) than easterns but easterns can become friendly as well, although they do tend to keep a little bit of attitude. I guess you could typically call it a non aggressive protest. I like that about that about them.
lol exactly this big male Eastern is a rescue and he is as friendly as a dog; recently got well enough again to show off his beard and open mouth to me; all bluff i stuck my finger in his mouth and he wouldnt bite lol. Was great to see, means he is getting back to his old self. But totally agree, easterns are great friendly pets too. Check out the vid I made when he started displaying!!

Eastern Bearded Dragon rescued, got his mojo back!!!! - YouTube

Last edited:
IMO - after having beardies and blueys l personally would have to say a beardie. Both are cute and have fab personallities but l just love the beardies.. hmm but having said that, for a child a bluey bould be easier to handle as in the whole feel of the reptile.. hmm they both have good point. Ok if l was to buy a reptile for my 5yr old daughter, l would buy a bluey.. but if it was for my 11 yr old son l would get a beardie..... actually he wants scorpions.. yer.. definately a bluey for a younger one

lol ezactly this big male Eastern is a rescue and he is as friendly as a dog; recently got well enough again to show off his beard and open mouth to me; all bluff i stuck my finger in his mouth and he wouldnt bite lol. Was great to see, means he is getting back to his old self. But totally agree, easterns are great friendly pets too. Check out the vid I made when he started displaying!!

Eastern Bearded Dragon rescued, got his mojo back!!!! - YouTube

You did a good job with him mate, well done. Glad to see he recovered well.

IMO - after having beardies and blueys l personally would have to say a beardie. Both are cute and have fab personallities but l just love the beardies.. hmm but having said that, for a child a bluey bould be easier to handle as in the whole feel of the reptile.. hmm they both have good point. Ok if l was to buy a reptile for my 5yr old daughter, l would buy a bluey.. but if it was for my 11 yr old son l would get a beardie..... actually he wants scorpions.. yer.. definately a bluey for a younger one
agree 100%

Is any of this helping you make up your mind, Joe? :)

dammit, your rescue boy just had to be named Max(I have a pet Max lol) and be cute...and make me want a bearded even more! dam you :p hehe
I have not owned any lizards either is why I was reading this thread and it does sound like you could flip a coin to which is better lol I personally love the look and colours of bearded dragons and they do seem more suited for me (im so used to shoulder pets hehe). All our pets have fur or feathers so far...about time we got some scales :p
As for pets for a young girl, I would say it really depends on the child. IMO young child friendly pets they can care for themself (best to always check they have though!) would be guinea pigs, rats, mice and lizards for reptiles (since you already have snakes) or frogs, axolotl if after more a look only pet, or budgies if shes into birds. Young kids can even spend hours watching fish tanks, so it depends on childs personality and if you plan to stick with caged type animals.
One of my daughters creates her own pets with collecting snails and is desperate for an axolotl lol and my youngest is scared of almost everything even kittens so each kid is unique or 'special' lol >.<

are Pygmy Beardies similar personality wise just smaller? or do they have the 'Im small' attitude some beasties get lol

Last edited:
Its kinda like the snail and tortoise, the bluey vs beardy. Beardies can be handle as u wish and are full of beans and are amusing to watch where as blueys are much more placid and can be handled as often as you like also. Just personal choice though both gorgoeus creatures!!!!

Perenti! All the way

Cheers Brenton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back