Can you run more than one light on a thermostat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindy

Reaction score
Just wondering if you can run more than one light on a thermostat aslong as it doesnt go over the maximum wattage? I origanally thought that it wouldn't work because of the one Probe but dad said it wouldn't matter because the enclosures are the same size. What do you'd think??

You can, but if the cage with the probe blows its globe you run the risk of cooking the other cage.

Better hope the bulb in the one with the thermo probe does not blow. Cause then it will just keep heating and heating the other one while trying to get the enclosure with the probe up to temp.

yes you can but its risky if the bulb in the cage were the probe is blew the other tank temps will be pumpped up.... fried reptile
its your risk
but would you want someone risking your life like that?
get two thermos or low wattage bulbs on the single

EDIT: gee you have to be quick lol

It can be done but its not the best way as you can't guarantee that both enclosures will be at the same accurate temp.2 problems might happen,if you blow one or both bulbs,also with one thermostat if it dies two enclosures go cold.

Get a sparky to wire your cages in series. One blows they all turn off or use relays for same effect.

Get a sparky to wire your cages in series. One blows they all turn off or use relays for same effect.

If you did that wouldn't they have half the voltage and would therefore heat more slowly or to a much lower temperature...

The relay should do it though - I think (not knowing enough about relays). But plain wiring in series I wouldn't think would work because of the voltage drop.

Also for the price of a sparky you could just buy another thermostat,then this thread would be mute.

I would do it for next to nothing. Most sparkies would.
Spot on slimy. It does halve the voltage (more if you have more lights) and my globes last forever because of this. With a dimming thermostat they still heat normally. Though the voltage is less across each load. It's still 240 across them all. I find it doesn't take long to get up to top heat. Then just operates as normal. .

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm planning on using 1 thermo in a 3 stack rack. but i will be using low watt bulbs to creat basking spots, and it's only gonna be set for 30 degrees at the cool end , so when we have hot days here it just swithces the globes off. for beardies by the way

Sounds fine to use one thermostat. If your using heat that wouldn't fry your animals even if going flat out. A lot of people have developed thermostat free enclosures by using low wattage heat that won't fry their animals, but keeps the desired temp. Of course such setups don't have a constant exact temp. It varies a bit depending on the temp of the room.

What about if the enclosure was long, and had a devider in the middle and I cut out a square in the divider and had the hole for the probe right in the middle so it was on both sides would this make a difference?

You'll have to make the enclosures mirrors of each other if you do that.
You can continue with your original idea but you just need to be careful and smart about it. Use correct wattage globes so that if one blows and the other one turns on full it won't heat the enclosure up to ridiculously high temps. You also need to check them regularly etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back