Hello from Queensland - Moranbah

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveToMix

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and to the world of snakes...

At 33 - I've always wanted to have a snake, but when my 7 year old son expressed an interest it pushed me to action.

I've purchased our enclosure - found a good seller (who will have a Stimson ready within the month).

Now I have to set up the enlcosure... And I have a few questions.

Is it good to simply go for a walk, and get some nice sand / rocks / branches from the wild. Or is it better to buy fake rocks branches and use something else on the floor?

We live in central queensland so there is plenty of good red sand, rocks and dead branches...

The enclosure we have is glass, 500 x 300 x 380. Lockable doors and a part mesh roof.

I was wondering if I should partition the enclosure whilst the snake is young?

What would you recommend as an introduction to looking after our new snake (I've seen plenty of books but am looking for a recommended source)

Thanks for all the help and hints,
Richard!

Hi Richard!

Ill leave it up to someone else to give you advice on most things, but sand isnt recommended as it can cause impaction, you can collect your rocks etc though, just soak them for 24 hrs (some say not to bother, just give it a shake, others say to cook and bleach- i stay in the middle and just soak).

I love your part of the world! i lived at Mackay for a while why my boyfriend at the time was working on a drilling rig at Moranbah.

I say just boiling hot water. Natures bleach! Anything you collect make sure it's clean. Definately watch what you use as substrate. I swear by ESU Desert blend. Its crushed walnut shell. It's great when the animal gets bigger. It absorbs the moisture in their poop AND the odourand it looks natural.For hatchies tho I stick to paper til they are bigger.
I just collect from my property. I soak for a lot longer cause of wood borers and bugs. Oh and I bake it dry in the sun.
Congrats on the soon to be new addition too :)

Newspaper substrate, rocks out of the big paddock hosed clean of rubbish....done.
.....solar 17 (Baden)

It all depends on your requirements. Some people only have a few reptiles so maintaining the enclosures is no probs. if you have a few hundred however...... yeah newspaper is great! All depends on what look you want

Hi.
If your snake is still very small,perhaps you should partition your enclosure because if the snake gets too far from a heat source it will cool right down.no good...

Thanks for the info!Any recommendation on a good book / website to learn basics such as:How much food? (one pinky a week for the first 10 weeks then 2?)What temperature? (heat mat on one side set to 28 and a lamp at the other on timer?)R:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back