When you start to cool your sn do you start to reduce the hours of your light as well

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonboy69

Reaction score
When you start to cool your snakes do you reduce hours of lights

I usually have my light in my enclosure set from 7am to 7pm atm. But when I start to cool my snakes should I start to reduce the amount of hours my lights stay on as well. If yes by how much and when ie reduce all at once eg have total of 10. Or should I reduce gradually. Cheers for any replies in advance.

Last edited:
Why do u cool your snake down ? Just asking :) do snakes need to be cooler at nite ?

Why do u cool your snake down ? Just asking :) do snakes need to be cooler at nite ?

How long have you had snakes that you have to ask why we cool our snakes.
To op start to take notice of the weather forecasts and try to mimic nature with sunrise and sunset light on light off. If you have never cooled your snake before read up on it as much as possible, i cool mine in my garage in brocolli foam boxes inside snake bags. I slowly reduce there temp at the end of May until no heat is being provided i then wait for them to hybernate themselves inside there hide box i then put this inside snake bag in foam box on the garage floor it is the most stable temp wise. i dont feed for 3 weeks prior to cooling that way they dont mess while hybernating. once cooled i check them once a week offer drink etc. Good luck cheers james

I have read alot of people don't hybanater (can't spell) there snakes in aus cause of the fact of our temps we have here in less you are trying to breed I'm pretty sure but I have read alot of people don't do it I have read abit about it but I heard its for more the folder places

Even in winter you should supply your animals with a decent basking site each day and you can let them get cooler of a night.You can reduce the amount of basking hours by around 30 minutes each week until you reach what you are aiming for.

I don't cool my Sn. All my tins are in the pantry :p.

I think basking spot temp is more important than light. I cover my enclosures with a thick cloth to try and keep the light minimal and to add a bit of insulation for the really cold nights. I don't change the thermostat but the ambient temp and size of enclosure mean the whole thing is cooler in general anyway.
I heard back in the day people used to stick them in a box in the garage with no heat or light and pretty much forget about them for a couple of months. I probably wouldn't suggest that though

Cause I live in qld and temps don't get that cold even in winter still 20 26deg so yer

I was reading an article which touched on this subject by Dr. Rock and it was titled Woma's - The Champagne of Snakes, anyways, they suggested any form of temperature adjustments are made when it comes to mating time and the like.

On the other hand, given Australia's vast contrasting temperature grids I would assume approach every situation on its merits.

What works for one may not work for another.

Full temp :D nah my cage is big enough for a cool end and a hot end that's enough I think :)

i cool mine in my garage in brocolli foam boxes inside snake bags. I slowly reduce there temp at the end of May until no heat is being provided i then wait for them to hybernate themselves inside there hide box i then put this inside snake bag in foam box on the garage floor it is the most stable temp wise.

Will all due respect, I think this is an extreme method of cooling.
I don't think this would happen in the wild with any Python species. They still come out & bask when the sun is out. Even in cooler environments reptiles find microclimates in rocky outcrops etc. that maintain warm temps. If you need to put them in the garage to get them cool enough, I would recommend putting their enclosure in the garage & still giving the animals warmth during the day.

Reptiles don't hibernate- leave that to Bears.

What works for me (in Melbourne, with Aspidites, Antaresia & Morelia) is to reduce night time temp. Eventually I provide no night time heating which allows the enclosures to drop to sometimes 18-20 degrees. I maintain normal day time temps, sometimes leaving them a little cooler.

My lighting mimics natural daylight hours of Melb.

Slight differences need to be made with different species.

All the best,
Andrew

Will all due respect, I think this is an extreme method of cooling.
I don't think this would happen in the wild with any Python species. They still come out & bask when the sun is out. Even in cooler environments reptiles find microclimates in rocky outcrops etc. that maintain warm temps. If you need to put them in the garage to get them cool enough, I would recommend putting their enclosure in the garage & still giving the animals warmth during the day.

Reptiles don't hibernate- leave that to Bears.

What works for me (in Melbourne, with Aspidites, Antaresia & Morelia) is to reduce night time temp. Eventually I provide no night time heating which allows the enclosures to drop to sometimes 18-20 degrees. I maintain normal day time temps, sometimes leaving them a little cooler.

My lighting mimics natural daylight hours of Melb.

Slight differences need to be made with different species.

All the best,
Andrew

Wow thank u I though I was missing something big putting snakes in bags and stuff lol

How long have you had snakes that you have to ask why we cool our snakes.
To op start to take notice of the weather forecasts and try to mimic nature with sunrise and sunset light on light off. If you have never cooled your snake before read up on it as much as possible, i cool mine in my garage in brocolli foam boxes inside snake bags. I slowly reduce there temp at the end of May until no heat is being provided i then wait for them to hybernate themselves inside there hide box i then put this inside snake bag in foam box on the garage floor it is the most stable temp wise. i dont feed for 3 weeks prior to cooling that way they dont mess while hybernating. once cooled i check them once a week offer drink etc. Good luck cheers james

That sounds like the method that a Diamond breeder Stan someone used. I'm pretty sure that he lost them all and i would never cool my snakes that way. As pointed out snakes do bask even in winter. Hot days, cold nights works for me.

maybe start with looking at where they naturally our in the wild!
my god i have never heard of putting them away over winter, wild snakes still warm up even if they are hiding in a rock the sun heats up the rock hence the snake heats up. read a bit on the tiger snakes on kangaroo island, at night it can get below zero but they still warm up during the day.
i leave my spotties on during the day in winter and turn it off at night, they still slowly cool down and warm back up again. i cover my large tank with a blanket to keep the warm air in.
sorry but i think completely leaving them alone over winter is not a good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back