Injured wild blue tongue :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leasdraco

So a little while ago we found one of the young wild blueys in the backyard,not in a good way.its back legs look totally paralyzed.on close inspection it has a lump on its spine,kind of soft to touch.it has been attacked by something,possibly a stray cat,it has scratches all over and part or all of one eye is gone.I have it in a plastic tub,will drop it at the vets in the morning.i don't know what it's prospects might be but I hope if has a chance.what kind of injuries can these tough little buggers come back from?

Yup,thats pretty much worst case scenario.i hope if its some sort of infection it can be saved,but either way at least it wont have to suffer or starve to death...

A few years ago, I would have advised the same as Ash, but a trip to the vet can't hurt and it's suprising what they can cope with. I've recently had a young Bluie in care that was mauled by a cat and had deep puncture marks all along the spine. It still has limited use of one rear leg, but eats and poops and moves well otherwise and I'm now looking at release:)! A herp vet would be even better, if possible?!

Yes I should be able to get it to a herp vet...I figured if it cant be saved,it can be put out of its misery quicker.i cant euthanize animals myself

But not a spinal break, unfortunately. Get to a vet to assess. Good luck :)

Hi - as someone who has taken in many sick blue tongues as a carer with RSPCA and BARN and can advise with some certainty that the animal will not suddenly regain the use of his back limbs. If he has a spinal injury, he will also develop a neurogenic bladder which will reduce its ability to empty, leading to urinary retention and bowel problems. His back limbs will continue to atrophy [waste]. I advise a trip to your vet for assessment and possible euthanasia. Sorry to be pessimistic.
Good luck.

No worries Montay i knew there wasn't much of a chance but I can't leave any animal like that

Had to laugh when I saw your post, montay... not due to anything you said, but merely to see the worlds "Sorry to be pessimistic" followed by "Life is like a box of chocolates..." Thanks for the (unintentional) giggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back